Will 500bhp cars be the norm in 10 years

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
With current progress in power levels on cars for example the MK1 GTi had 110bhp and weighed 800kgs the MK4 weighed 1200kgs and had 150bhp by MK5 we see power figures approaching 170 bhp. Then they bring out the more poweful v5 engine and also do clever things with twin charging!

It is now fairly common to see cars on the road with between 200 and 300 bhp.

As engines progress do you think we are likely to see continual power hikes! What do you think the upper limit will be?

As most cars are FWD I think they are going to be limited to around 250bhp, to get more we would need to see a move to RWD and I can't see this happening thanks to fuel economy concerns!

Last edited:
Well it is one of the most powerfull fwd cars from the factory. It puts the power down well but i do think its just about on the limit.

Ford put a lot of work into the suspension setup, which some people don't realise has a big effect on how a car puts the power down. Quaife LSD from the factory too.

10 years ago EVO's were stuggling to get 400bhp now they have them up to 1400bhp, but I dont think big bhp will be the future, taxes on fuel etc... will mean electric and hydro cars becomming more common certainly on UK roads.

I still believe that we have yet to fully utilise the potential of internal combustion, so more power for equal displacement is probably on its way. however, will we all be in 500bhp cars in 2020. no.

1. The relentless war on speed.
2. Increasing population with a dependancy on cars - traffic.
3. extortionate tax on petrol, hidden taxes on everything else ( you know what the government is like )
4. The steady march away from power toward MPG.

I fear we live in the last golden age of the performance car as we know it.

Well it is one of the most powerfull fwd cars from the factory. It puts the power down well but i do think its just about on the limit.

VXR's are around the 250 mark as well. Like has already been said, due to eco nuts and tofu eating, tree hugging, rabbit loving hippies, manufactures are levelling off around 150 mark. The general public don't want fast cars either.

Plus, manufactures have to think about other things other than pure bhp. I could quite easily re map my car again and up the boos to nearly 2 bar. That would push it up to about 420, but the cams would not hold up, the pistons would melt and so on and so on. Why would a manufacture measure in all this just to produce bigger bhp cars for my grandma, when she drives everywhere so slow, then when she gets to her destination she has forgot why she went.