Wider Tyres?

MoveIT

Tuner
Car
Chevy Lacetti CDX
I'm moving this thread I originally posted in the chevrolet section as it will probably be better placed here under "General"

my original post was -

"Is it possible to fit wider tyres on the wheels I have? or would I need to buy a new set of alloys?

I currently have 205/45/R16 on the wheels but I'd like to put 225 tyres on if I can. I don't really want to go any bigger then 16" wheels so I don't really want to pay out the extra cash on wheels if I don't have to.

can this be done?"

and replies I have had are -

clio197MJB

if i understand your quiery correctly your wanting to put a wider wheelbased tyre onto your existing alloys? if so, i would say no. you would have to get alloys that were as wide as the tyres unfortunately.

herb

im not 100% sure but on my astra im 80% sure i went from 205/40/17 to 225/40/17

old-git

All tyres have a range of rim widths they will fit. What width are your wheels?

and my last post -

MoveIT

I seem to remember when I had a 200sx that a tuning company in warrington said I could put 245 tyres on it, and I had 225 tyres on at the time that came fitted to the wheels, so I thought wheels came with a range of tyre sizes that can be fitted, like size minimum to maximum.

I have no idea what size the wheels are on the car, all I know is that they are 16" wheels, the're not listed in the manual either on the tyre presure page but they are chevrolet wheels so I can only imagine that they were an optional extra when the car was bought.
sorry for the mess! :toung:

The old thread is still open if anyone replies in there but if any moderators want to close it then I appologise for the duplicate.

What a dilema? not too sure myself? but you could try a chap called Lee Sokoya of Elite's in Rainham, Essex on 01708 525577 he should be able to help you. It is a huge place (actually has a cafe inside) dealing with alloy wheels, tyres, brakes, exhausts, suspension systems etc, good luck!

If you have 205/45/16 tyres on your Alloys then you can fit 225/45/16 aswel.

But you'd have to check if these Sizes will fit onto your car without Rubbering as you might have to Mod it to make them fit.

But for 225/45/16, just to let you know that because its not a common size it WILL be dear for tyres and you won't have much of a choice tp chose from

Last edited:
fair point, I have noticed it doesn't feel heavy when I drive it, apart from the rolling suspension! but being the same size as a mondeo or laguna which I've seen with those tyres fitted standard, I thought the 225's would be ok :confused:

I'm running 235/45/17 on mine but my wheels are 9 inches wide anyway. You will feel a little benefit from having wider tyres as the handling is improved but only to a certain speed depending on the weight of your car. If you have wider tyres than your alloyes, hit a certain speed round a bend and the tyre will just fold under the wheels (only talking from experience on the first set of wheels I ever bought, made the mistake of getting wider tyres) So it's always best to get wide wheels if you wide a wider surface contact.

would have though for a definitive answer you need to know the width of your current wheels. Would suspect for 16" then either 7 or 7.5" in width. the later should fit a 225mm for 7" - not sure.

I'd imagine the wheels are pobably 7" ones, I don't know if I can get an acurate measurment while the tyre is on the wheel.

I think my best bet will be to pop into a tyre fiiters and ask them what they think,

The Lacetti is more akin to a MKI Focus in size and weight. It weighs in at 1100-1200kg.

Of the current range even the lightest Mondeo is 1470Kg and they range up to over 1600kg.

I doubt very much that you'll improve the handling or grip with wider tyres alone, especially if you're aware of significant body roll it could well reduce the ultimate lateral grip available.

I'd imagine the wheels are pobably 7" ones, I don't know if I can get an acurate measurment while the tyre is on the wheel.

I think my best bet will be to pop into a tyre fiiters and ask them what they think,

If you take the Wheel off the car, you should find the Measurments in the Inside of the Alloy :p

Thanks Skullion, I'll have a look and see if I can see it with a torch. Thinking 225's might be pushing so 215's maybe instead

215s are hard to find in the UK.

How about:

17" rims and a top class 205/40/17 Tyre?

Any money saved could go toward some decent stiff gas dampers to really pick up the sterring response. Stiffening the suspension springs themselves often does little more than make the ride jiggly.

haha! I think I'm more confused now then when I first asked :toung:

I don't want 17" wheels on this car, had them on my last car, they do feel good for driving feel and look good too, but they do make the ride bumpier, and this car seems to be bumpy enough at the moment.

If I have to change the wheels then I won't bother at all, so its either tyres or nothing.