why

speedy

Torque Junkie
Car
cordoba1.6
is it me or are subs going out of fasion. they add wieght that is not needed and ruin the cars mpg. i would like your views as my mate has some and think there amazing but i disagree. thanks

I dident think subs weighed that much to make a difference.

having a good system will add a lot of weight

just think if you removed all of it and all the rubbish you carry in your motor (we all have rubbish ) how much lighter the car will be = more mpg

smaller cars suffer more witch most systems go in

decent 12" sub will weigh in around 20kg without box then theres the amp.

think mines weighs around 30kg with the 12" custom enclose wadding and amp on the side

if your running a small hatch as lutton said and have 2 subs etc then thats 60kg roughly or a light passenger

now for some sums

90bhp in something that weighs 1200kg including a 70kg driver is 75bhp/ton now add another 60kg to that your down to 70bhp/ton. doesnt seem much. to see the difference go out and have a spirited drive - no need to drive dangerously or break the speed limits - then do the same with a mate sitting passenger and youll feel the difference

I'm not planning any sort of system for my Civic. I'm trying to reduce weight where I can, not add it! No matter how small the weight is it soon adds up.

if it adds weight u can always remove summink else in your car . if you have a 4 seater and you never use the back seeats . then remove em, im sure if u ask the shop if you can weigh them they wont mind. but i wil say when having subs it does make the car that little heavier. cos i have 2 tens in my boot and i parked next to anothe polo of the same type and my car was ia lil bit lower . my car doesnt feel slugish though.

I had a 12" sub and box in the boot of my Audi A3. I actually took it out cuz it became a pain in the backside. The box would slide from side to side and it took up too much room. The boot on the A3 isn't exactly the biggest. I can honestly say the weight of it didn't really come in to the equation.

If you are that worried about the weight then you really should look at why you have that car. The best ways to reduce excess weight is remove the spare wheel, jack, brace, rear seats, dashboard, door cards, sound deadening, glass windows(replace with poly sheets), drive with only five pound of fuel in the tank at any given time, drive naked and make you visit the toilet before every journey, travel alone(won't be hard considering your are now naked, in a noisy, cold car), oh yeah and finally make sure you empty the ashtray.

Or another option would be to upgrade your suspension.

I had a 12" sub and box in the boot of my Audi A3. I actually took it out cuz it became a pain in the backside. The box would slide from side to side and it took up too much room. The boot on the A3 isn't exactly the biggest. I can honestly say the weight of it didn't really come in to the equation.

If you are that worried about the weight then you really should look at why you have that car. The best ways to reduce excess weight is remove the spare wheel, jack, brace, rear seats, dashboard, door cards, sound deadening, glass windows(replace with poly sheets), drive with only five pound of fuel in the tank at any given time, drive naked and make you visit the toilet before every journey, travel alone(won't be hard considering your are now naked, in a noisy, cold car), oh yeah and finally make sure you empty the ashtray.

Or another option would be to upgrade your suspension.

Whilst I found that quite amusing I disagree with the weight thing. My idea is to keep things practical but not to add weight that I find unnecessary. To me that is amps and subs etc.

To be quite honest I prefer a decent headunit and standard speaker setup with possibly a pair of pretty looking 6x9s on the parcel shelf. As far as the "quality" goes the accoustics inside any car are quite crap. There really is no point in fitting half a dozen subs with all the amps in the world and then "balancing" it all out with those essential tweeters and component speakers. Due to the fact that unless you have a full mixing desk that will automatically adjust itself to every song, there will always be a compromise.

9 times of out 10 people with subs tend to turn the bass up too much to inform all the local school girls of their masculinity and annoy every other member of the community.

However I am a little curious, why is it between the ages of about 17 to 24(ish, there is a 40 year old local to me who still does this) people tend to turn the bass up enough to vibrate the rear window, then drive around town in first and second revving to almost the red line with a 4" backbox on a straight through system, then adjust the treble whilst saying "Yeah, it's a bit outta balance, ain't it." ????

Not everyone with an install does this, I know there is a lot of work that goes in to most installs and you can see the effort, even if I can't hear the difference.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back