why is my car doing this i dont understand aggh!!!

stillbroke09

Car
vauxhall corsa 1.4i
:confused: this is so hard to explain no one gets what im saying ryt i have a five speed box in my corsa 1.4 breeze wen i bought it the gear change was horrible it felt like it was catching on suttin i ragged it a bit and now i can be going down the road go to put it in 1st and it goes in reverse but i havent lifted it to change it to reverse also wen in neutral the stick is offset to the right ive bin told its got a new box and clutch but i just dont c why its doing this im getting a headache:mad: its going in this week to get sprayed im worried that on the way its gonna pop :sad2: and i dont wanna get there and be over the moon with the job and cant move it out the worskhop so please if any1 has any any ideas no matter how stupid they think it is please tell me cheers.

my girlfriend has got a corsa 1.2 comfort and im assuming they have similar gearboxes, if not the same one. the other day sshe was driving it and the gear stick just flopped to one side, no gears or nothing. no previous with it either, apparently there are mounting springs inside the gearbox which keeps the gearstic centeral and level, maybe one of them has broken and so the apposing spring is pulling the gearstick off centre. oh n sum advice, dont gear down to 1 until u cum to a standstill (unless on track) cos ya puttin unnessessary pressure on ya gearbox........ ask about those mounting springs anyway. hope its sorted for ya.

It's a bit hard to read what you wrote cause it has no structure.

Anyways all I can add is general knowledge, like stillbroke said there are springs which return the gear level to a central position, and sometimes (I'm not sure how common) first gear doesn't have a syncro so it's possible that changing down into first might be awkward.

I can see how damaged springs would mean the gear stick is floppy and it falls into reverse rather than first.

ok cheers for the help its not that its falling into place its being pulled there but il have a look anyway im not to sure what to look for though?

it's a very simple fix, there is a clamp bolt on the gear selector rod, the easyest way to sort it is to make sure the car is in reverse, have someone hold the gear stick steady, undo the 13mm bolt, then just adjust the linkage slightly. tighten the bolt up and try it, it might take a couple of attempts to get it right. I'v had to do it a couple of times to the wifes astra in the last year or so.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back