Why is it important to count the number of turns when removing and replacing track rod ends ?

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
I am a novice at the moment when it comes to repairing cars but I would love to fix more parts on my car. I have a manual and access to a tool set. I want to tackle the job myself.

I have watched many tutorials on how to replace them and they say to count how many turns it takes to remove the track rod ends as it helps keep the car in better alignment once the new part is on.
My question is, is it still important to count the number of turns when removing the track rod ends if I am going to take it to a garage to get the alignment done straight after ?

Does the number of track rod ends turns have a part to play even as well as getting the tracking done to ensure the steering is straight ?

thanks

It isn't so important, but if you do count them you will be able to get to the garage a lot easier :)

It’s not just a case of counting the threads when fitting new track rod ends, after all you may have a car with two different makes of track rod end fitted. The important thing is to get proper thread engagement both sides and to get both track rods the same length.

If you have one track rod long and one short this will affect the toe out on turns, even if the straight ahead tracking is adjusted spot on. Google Ackermann steering geometry for more info.

You should always have the alignment professionally checked after working on the steering. If any adjustment is required to the toe-in, each side should be adjusted equally ie it should not all be done on the one track rod. The ball joints should also be properly aligned after the adjustment is made, not tilted or biased one way or the other.

It’s not just a case of counting the threads when fitting new track rod ends, after all you may have a car with two different makes of track rod end fitted. The important thing is to get proper thread engagement both sides and to get both track rods the same length.

If you have one track rod long and one short this will affect the toe out on turns, even if the straight ahead tracking is adjusted spot on. Google Ackermann steering geometry for more info.

You should always have the alignment professionally checked after working on the steering. If any adjustment is required to the toe-in, each side should be adjusted equally ie it should not all be done on the one track rod. The ball joints should also be properly aligned after the adjustment is made, not tilted or biased one way or the other.

Can you please explain what you mean by my car may have 2 different makes of track rods fitted ?
If I buy a pair of track rod ends from a car shop then this will not be a problem will it ?

What I actually wrote was "You may have a car with two different makes of track rod end fitted."

If you get confused reading a simple statement on a forum thread then I suggest you get someone capable to repair your steering.

What I actually wrote was "You may have a car with two different makes of track rod end fitted."

If you get confused reading a simple statement on a forum thread then I suggest you get someone capable to repair your steering.

Did you mean one side may be of a different make T.R.E than the other side ?

They were both replaced in December with the track rods themselves, got tracking done right after but ever since then it has had a steering wheel pull to the left.
Do you think that the person who fitted them hadn't counted the number of turns correctly, if so then should I still install the new TRE to the same number of turns it takes to remove the current one ?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back