Why is diesel so efficient

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I had this question emailed to me this morning from one of our readers so I thought i'd post it up as it will make for an interesting discussion.

"Why does diesel allow a car to travel further per mpg than any other fuel on a molecular level."

One - diesel engines do not have throttles so there is theoretically no energy expended drawing air into the cylinders. It's for this reason that they also respond very well to turbocharging - the other way to look at it is that without turbocharging they're not great fun to drive either!! Also, a diesel engine driver flat out at high rpm is not likely to be much more economical, if at all, that a petrol driven the same way. NASP diesels are plain thirsty when driven hard.

Two - the brake mean effective cylinder pressure is very high due to the high compression ratio and lack of a throttle.

Three - and this is where some compromises can be unveiled. Diesel has a higher calorifi value than petrol by VOLUME. ie. 1 litre of diesel contains more energy than 1 litre of petrol.

Read on - IF the fuel companies were to meter fuel by mass rather than by volume then diesel would lose out somewhat.

It is significantly denser than petrol. So 60kgs of diesel would give less litres of fuel than 60kgs of petrol.

I also think part of the reason is relatively low displacement and relatively low rpm. Big engines and high revs take more air/fuel mixture in

I have always had this thing about diesel engines, silly I know, as they are a far cry from the diesel engines of my dads era - were thick clouds of smoke out the exhaust and noisey cabin intrusion was the norm.

Oh, Congrats on reaching your first 1000 TC posts Yugguy :)

I have always had this thing about diesel engines, silly I know, as they are a far cry from the diesel engines of my dads era - were thick clouds of smoke out the exhaust and noisey cabin intrusion was the norm.

Oh, Congrats on reaching your first 1000 TC posts Yugguy :)

I have that same thing.

Just can't get it out my head that diesels are tractors.;):lol::lol::toung:

Seriously though, slower burn rate is one reason diesels are so much more economical, also they are far less wasteful than petrols, because you always gave a full volume of air in the cylinder and diesel engines are accelerated by adding more fuel, so adding less fuel in the same volume of air equals less waste.

Last edited:
I think cost comes into it, VAG proved there point then left it there.... They mainly use diesels in there motorsport ventures...

Two words, " power density", retail designs rev low because of high compression.... Diesel fuel packs more of a proverbial punch than an equal mass of gasoline, alcohol, CNG ... It burns slower so therefore it revs slower, but it has more extractable power than gasoline hence the high torque numbers(ie: cylinder pressure ) as compared to a conventional spark ignited engine, chamionship Le Mans racing has gone the way of compression ignition for this reason.... More power from less fuel , Btw new Audi lemans car(VAG) is a 6 cyl TDI...

Last edited by a moderator:
Naw Naw homie it's a 3.7L v6, if u don't believe me... Look here
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101211/ALMS/312119999
7th paragraph

If I could get the Diesel technology from that car installed in mine, then that would be probably the first time I would want a diesel my self :)
I know that this days diesels are much much better and much more powerful and you get even more after remapping......but I just love the petrol engines, petrol smell ;) sound of a petrol engine and everything about it.
Yes, diesel engines last maybe longer, but are more expensive to fix in some aspects, they are more economical....but I do not really care, Petrol all the way baby ;)

If I could get the Diesel technology from that car installed in mine, then that would be probably the first time I would want a diesel my self :)
I know that this days diesels are much much better and much more powerful and you get even more after remapping......but I just love the petrol engines, petrol smell ;) sound of a petrol engine and everything about it.
Yes, diesel engines last maybe longer, but are more expensive to fix in some aspects, they are more economical....but I do not really care, Petrol all the way baby ;)

Diesels don't always last longer than the petrol variant. It's how you maintain your car that counts not the fuel it uses.
Also I don't agree that diesels are more economical because they just aren't.

Diesels don't always last longer than the petrol variant. It's how you maintain your car that counts not the fuel it uses.

Agree on the first one, sort of, but Diesels are more efficient, more MPG than petrol equivalent, I'm not saying that by a lot (same engines), but they are .......or not !?!?

They use a little less fuel but diesel is more expensive than petrol so does it really make a difference?
Plus economy doesn't just cover MPG.
Diesels are considerably more expensive to maintain.
Over say a 5 year period I dare bet there wouldn't be much difference in how much is spent on either petrol or diesel.

Maybe so but your service costs are more than the equivalent petrol version.
Plus if something does go wrong I'll bet it would be more to repair than the equivalent petrol version as well.

Plus if something does go wrong I'll bet it would be more to repair than the equivalent petrol version as well.

Exactly ... but they do more MPGs than petrol and thats the point I was trying to make, fuel consumption diesel wins, repair cost petrol wins, but as Yugguy said they do not break so often, and it all depends from how much do you look after your car, what petrol you putting it, what parts do you buy when something goes wrong, cheap no name eaurocarparts ones, or genuine quality, do you rev the engine all the time and many other factors.

But no matter what, I would not want one, petrol is in my blood, or there is no blood long time ago.....just petrol ;)

Diesel engines can offer stonking performance for their size.

Most are undertuned at the factory to make way for the petrol models in the range.

But is it so efficient on a long term basis? I am not so sure. Not to say that I prefer petrol as such but I do think you should choose on merit rather than prejudice.

I'd go back to diesel immediately if I was in the market for a new £40,000 car but I'd want to dispose of it within five years.

Petrol engines are generally simpler and cheaper to maintain, and generally don't suffer from costly failures such as some dervs.

Yes and no, Yes proper maintenance is the key to long engine life but no because diesel engines have much better properties of longevity than petrol engines,

1) Revs, they don't rev as high to make there torque so there for the piston moves up and down the bore less times during it's life and so the bores and pistons and barings etc, live longer.

2) The fuel itself has a higher lubricating properties than petrol so it less abrasive on the cylinder walls and fuel pump and injectors.

A Peugeot XUD or DW should outlast a BMW M18/M19 and possibly some of the 6's if properly maintained. Hell a Merc OM60x will last forever if maintained properly

Diesel engines can offer stonking performance for their size.

Most are undertuned at the factory to make way for the petrol models in the range.

But is it so efficient on a long term basis? I am not so sure. Not to say that I prefer petrol as such but I do think you should choose on merit rather than prejudice.

I'd go back to diesel immediately if I was in the market for a new £40,000 car but I'd want to dispose of it within five years.

Petrol engines are generally simpler and cheaper to maintain, and generally don't suffer from costly failures such as some dervs.

I whole heartedly agree there chap, why do you think I stick with my old school XUD's ? Ok they aren't as refined as the newer HDI's but they are sooooo much more reliable and they are easy to fix when broken and easy to tune if you wish to do so. Diesel engines were originally designed to be simple, are modern diesels as such? I don't think so....

No, they're not, not at my local indy anyway. Admittedly I've never had anything diesel specific done, but cambelt, clutch and regular servicing don't appear to cost anymore than a petrol.

I do think that people are being blinded by fuel economy of diesels rather than looking at the big picture, it would seem that a modern turbo diesel becomes more costly to own in the smaller engine market then the equivalent petrol, however if you go over say 2.5 litres or there abouts a modern turbo diesel makes sence especially in larger cars more so.

I do think that people are being blinded by fuel economy of diesels rather than looking at the big picture, it would seem that a modern turbo diesel becomes more costly to own in the smaller engine market then the equivalent petrol, however if you go over say 2.5 litres or there abouts a modern turbo diesel makes sence especially in larger cars more so.

hard to say, and I didn't have a bad ownership experience with the 2.2 HDi I had. However, I've been on a low budget for a couple of years and bought a petrol car for reasons of ongoing operating costs. Despite the fact that I prefer the massive torque of CR diesel engines over NA petrol engines' comparitive weedy feel.

However, there's no turbochargers to cause problems, no outrageously high pressure injection to deal with. Petrol EFI systems typically operate at around 20-25 ATM. Common rail diesels are now in excess of 2000 ATM.

So far so good. I'm growing quite fond of my BMW 528i with it's revvy little 6 cylinder, 24 valve, twin cam engine which is o so creamily smooth in its power delivery. It's actually quite good on fuel as well. Over 30mpg reliably, nearly 40mpg on a long run. Not outrageously quick (you'd outpull it in a Mondeo 2.2 ST TDCi) but it does do a good job of getting about all the same.

Servicing over the last 22,000 miles has been penny material.

But, and it's a big but, I'll be a d badge wearer again when I need to buy and can afford to buy a new car.

Last edited:
Hang on... Car enthusiasts arguing about which is better!? Surely not!

Eventually, I'll move on to petrol, but I'll always love the grunt of a diesel. they are both good, no matter how you look at it. There... sorted. :bigsmile: