Why I hate statistics

The media & spin doctors love statistics don't they!
They can manipulated any which way. Medical studies are a favourite pet hate of mine & it's refreshing to know that I can now go to the NHS site where they will explain the science behind the news stories & give a balanced conclusion on the true findings of the research.

it is a fact that with statistics half the population have one testicle and one breast and also to quote Vic Reeves 78.72% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Stats are very useful devices for any individual or any group of people (frequently comprised of politicians) who wants to misrepresent the truth.

Stats are compiled from gathered data.

The problem is that the way the data is screened is often not truly impartial and it's this information, together with the raw gathered data, which is so often made unavailable.

I suspect that if one were to invoke the FOI act then you could gain a valuable insight into the truth and coupled with this you could probably determine the original mission for the stats without previously knowing what it was.

some new stats for everyone;)

out of all the people asked 100% of them agreed surveys and statistics are a load of crap!!!!!*

*2 people where asked in this survey and both agreed!:bigsmile:

"When asked, 9 out of 10 owners said their cats preferred it."

And, when not asked? Or before being asked? How did we choose who to ask?

Even selecting respondents becomes murky.

"Lies, lies and damned statistics." so true, we often use this to prove points at work - of course it only works if someone it too silly to understand what you are doing. Statistics, especially measurements on a "proportion" of the population are just nonsense and always will be so it is clear that especially the likes of insurance companies, be it for car, home or health insurance, use this to bleed people dry.
its about time that insruance companies were investigated by govt bodies for overcharging and working as cartels.

The problem is not the statistics themselves but rather the conclusions drawn from them.

A recent survey show an increase in Lukemia cases for people who live near mobile phone masts, the same result also applied to people living near a primary school!

I find statistics interesting, to quote a friend "Statistics are like bikinis, they let you see everything bar the important bits!":lol:

The problem is not the statistics themselves but rather the conclusions drawn from them.

A recent survey show an increase in Lukemia cases for people who live near mobile phone masts, the same result also applied to people living near a primary school!

I find statistics interesting, to quote a friend "Statistics are like bikinis, they let you see everything bar the important bits!":lol:

I LIKE BIKINI'S.:lol::lol:

20101116072327_4ce2a1ef8d483.jpg

Yup! I hate statistics too:bigsmile:
Other responders have made excellent points (as well as some humerous ones:blink: so I do not intend to fling out too many more:blink1:
I was immediately reminded of the great Dave Allen who, in one of his shows said that statistics stated that 10% of road accidents were caused by drunk drivers.Which meant that 90% were caused by sober ones:p:pI also seem to remember that I said that, unless the stats had been altered in more recent years; they only noted the deaths and injuries to the driver. Not any front or rear seat passengers. IF that remains true then the ACTUAL stats will reveal much higher numbers and should act as a precursor to getting something done to reduce them.
Quoting:- http://www.roadcraft-pdt.co.uk/page7.html

This statement is made:-"DRIVERS UNDER 21 ARE INVOLVED IN 15% OF ALL ACCIDENT DEATHS"

Think about it for a moment or two.

Now, let me present the stats differently.

.....In 85% of fatal accidents everyone involved is over the age of 21.

Yup! I hate statistics too:bigsmile:
Other responders have made excellent points (as well as some humerous ones:blink: so I do not intend to fling out too many more:blink1:
I was immediately reminded of the great Dave Allen who, in one of his shows said that statistics stated that 10% of road accidents were caused by drunk drivers.Which meant that 90% were caused by sober ones:p:pI also seem to remember that I said that, unless the stats had been altered in more recent years; they only noted the deaths and injuries to the driver. Not any front or rear seat passengers. IF that remains true then the ACTUAL stats will reveal much higher numbers and should act as a precursor to getting something done to reduce them.

you had to love dave allen he was a comic genius!!