Why does red paint fade so badly

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I was just wondering why red paint always fades so badly. There must be a technical reason for this but I can't think of one!

Are there any other colours or types of paint that fades as badly as red? Is it just that it is more noticable on red cars?

If you know the answer or have a therory I'd love to hear it:D

I think it has something to do with the UV rays from the sun causing a chemical reaction in the paint, happens with all colours over a longer period of time if left in sunlight without protection, but red the reaction happens quicker with red paint due to where it is in the colour spectrum (directly opposite with ultraviolet or something like that).

i know some car manufacturers (i think honda being one of them) have added something to their paint to stop this happening and added a protective top coat (not normal laquer).

if you leave out white cars in the sun they start yellowing, itsw not that noticeable until you start t cutting them and then yuo have to do the whole damn thing!

i think its called liquidation, or something like that, i remember on holiday in lanzarote there was a sale in one of the dodgy dvd shops, all the covers had been liquidised from the suns UV rays

you dont see it much now on more modern cars but having owned 2 older flame pink vauxhalls i put it down to they were finished in a gloss topcoat from the factory with no lacquer to protect the paint