Why do modern engines not have more horsepower?

chrisbrearley

Car
Alfa 4c & Giulietta
So 30 years ago back in the 80s an F1 car with a 1.5L turbo engine was pushing 1000bhp. I would have thought by now that this technology would have filtered down to road cars a long time ago yet my 1.75L turbo in my Alfa has a modest 240bhp. Why are Alfa and every other car maker not getting a s**tload more horsepower out of it?

And why bother putting any engine in a car bigger than 1.5L if you can extract 1000bhp from it? Why do modern supercars need 5.0L engines to only get 600bph? Is this purely a case of pushing an engine in such a way that it's lifespan will be next to nothing? After all, a 1980s grand prix usually had about 6 finishers.

I am guessing that the engine manufacturers want reliability and longevity for their road cars.
In a F1 car there is quite some time involved before start up as it's not a jump in and turn a key to start and drive away.

Back then the motor only had to last till the flag and then they were torn down and rebuilt in many/most/all cases and ran on some exotic fuel not available at the local service station.

You can triple the Alfas power but would reduce the lifespan accordingly.

PS too many drivers??I call them motorists.(A real driver is one that takes pride in their skills and drives in the same manner as that did when being tested and undertakes further instruction to hone their skills) get into trouble with less power than your Alfa and sadly there seems to be no laws preventing people who pass their test in a low powered 4 cylinder car and then If they are rich can buy any high powered car and head off on their merry way with zero ability to know their limitations in handling say AMG Benz,Porsche turbo BMW M series etc when the put their foot down in the wrong place and end up crashing into the scenery or oncoming traffic.

I offer the following Video to illustrate my point re driving standards or qualifications and fools that should stripped of their license be on public transport forever.

Last edited:
1000bhp cars exist. The GTR can be pumped to that level, those 5.0 litre beasts you mention can probably be raised to 1000bhp, but reliability is reduced. Car makers for the real world market have to think about making a car last 200,000 miles, not 50.

you cant get a 1000hp car that driveable on the roads without spending an awful lot of money and I do mean an awful lot.
Engines have improved greatly since the 80s I cant think of many 350hp cars that were about then, now they are lots and they are driveable. MPG is also miles better which is also a sign of muchly improved engines.

The repair costs and servicing would be prohibitive. Clutches tend to die every few months over 800bhp for example.

Manufacturers can make cars more efficient and stronger to make them more reliable or they can just limit the power - it's cheaper to do the latter.

The RB26 and 2JZ engines are good examples as they can both handle 600bhp easily. Manufacturers detuned them for fuel economy and reliability reasons and because the driving public is not ready for such high power cars to be common place on our roads - after 10 years they will end up in the hands of the young and inexperienced.

It is worth noting that more power requires more fuel and using more fuel is not something the manufacturers want to be doing when they have to meet ever more stringent emissions regulations.