Why did you mod your car?

I signed up to a popular VAG forum. Got the modding bug bad!

Now I can't stop.....even though the bank manager writes to me weekly and tells me to stop. lol

so it would look better and be faster than anyone else ha

A very worthy ambition, but VERY difficult to achieve. I have just spent the day at the Autosport Racing Car Show at the NEC. The PistonHeads Section had dozens of cars on show but I was bored after looking at the first dozen or so - basically all the same.

However, don't try to run before you have even started to crawl so, to start with, being part of the herd is safe and you will learn a lot from your fellow herd members. You will also quickly pick out the rebels within the herd - these should be nurtured and encouraged. They are not always right but they will always be interesting.

The trick, in my opinion, is to learn to think outside the box. Don't necessarily follow the herd because all you will achieve is to become part of that herd (however, a lot of people seem to like this approach. so maybe it's me that is out of step).

Good luck with your first project. You have plenty of like minded nutters on here ready to offer opinions, help and hindrance in equal measure :)

OG's not so much modified a car as he is in the process of building a customised car from scratch. There's a big difference. A custom build can be truly yours. Mods are only a set of compromises.

OG's not so much modified a car as he is in the process of building a customised car from scratch. There's a big difference. A custom build can be truly yours. Mods are only a set of compromises.

Playing with semantics, here, HD :)

What is the difference between customised and modified? You can't customise a car without modifying it, but by modifying a car you are customising it :) I am not sure I can see the difference - both customising and modifying require the car to be altered from its original specification.

Maybe modifying can be used to indicate performance enhancing alterations and customising is more to do with appearance? In that case, I would put my efforts firmly in the modifying camp, but with appearance an important consideration.

Suit yourself, OG! HDi is playing with nothing, certainly not with semantics. He's slighty disappointed in OG's response.

As far as HDi can determine, no semantics have been played with. HDis command of English, both written and verbal, is strong.

Suit yourself, OG! HDi is playing with nothing, certainly not with semantics. He's slighty disappointed in OG's response.

As far as HDi can determine, no semantics have been played with. HDis command of English, both written and verbal, is strong.

Fair comment, maybe semantics wasn't quite the right word. However, my understanding of the meanng of the word is:

• the study of language meaning
  • the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.
In using it, I was trying to point out that customising and modifying can mean different things (and sometimes the same thing) to different people, which is what semantics (IMO) is all about. It wan't used in a derogatory way and if that was the inference, then I apologise.

I guess my real issue is being accused of customising my car. I leave that to the Corsa and Saxo brigade :)

I consider that what I am doing are radical modifications with very little compromise, so I disagree with you on that score.

Can we still be friends? :)

Last edited:
Yeah but did that engine fit standard.... They have the same sort of definition if you ask me so yeah you have customized your car. And also made adaptions for things to fit. Ie modded them.....;)

This is an argument that has no end :). The two words seem to have become interchangable in the car scene.

I accept that If you modify your car you are customising it. Strictly speaking any modification is a customisation. However, in the drag racing and sprinting scene (my areas of interest) 'customising' is rarely. if ever, used (except in describing something specially made ie a custom made manifold). We talk about modifying not customising. Customising if left to Pimp my Ride, truly the epitome of looks over performance :)

"OG's not so much modified a car as he is in the process of building a customised car from scratch. There's a big difference. A custom build can be truly yours. Mods are only a set of compromises."

I was actually defending your project, OG. Please read the above paragraph again.

I have said, quite unambiguously, that you are building a custom car. A bespoke, one off model.

I have tried to make it plain that this is a very different and much greater accomplishment than simply modifying an existing model.

Im modifying my car because I like to be different! I also like to have something different, even though I have noticed an ever increasing number of astras in my area, but oh well, it just encourages me to go and buy something else for it.

im modding my car so it looks stealthy and the performance and handling is slighty better also it gives me a sense of achivement where doing other things may not,
i think modding is a slight or massive compromise (depemding on cash levels etc..)of what you may think perfection for your car or automobile can be!?!

OG to modify something you are changing it to customise you are making it your own! a custom built car from scratch built to ur or some1 elses specs is customising(as above pimp my ride), to change an exhaust so that it is loud or bigger is modifying etc.. as i see it.

Last edited:
"OG's not so much modified a car as he is in the process of building a customised car from scratch. There's a big difference. A custom build can be truly yours. Mods are only a set of compromises."

I was actually defending your project, OG. Please read the above paragraph again.

I have said, quite unambiguously, that you are building a custom car. A bespoke, one off model.

I have tried to make it plain that this is a very different and much greater accomplishment than simply modifying an existing model.

Yes, I appreciated that. I was only complaining about the use of the word customising in relation to my project in, what I thought, was a light hearted way.

This is one of the problems with written rather than verbal communication, the intonation and visual aspects of the communication are lost, leaving the result rather dry, blunt and somewhat emotionless.

What would have been a humourous throwaway line accompanied by a smile and hand gestures over a pint can appear strident and rude when wrtten, even with a sprinkling of emoticons.

Yes, I appreciated that. I was only complaining about the use of the word customising in relation to my project in, what I thought, was a light hearted way.

This is one of the problems with written rather than verbal communication, the intonation and visual aspects of the communication are lost, leaving the result rather dry, blunt and somewhat emotionless.

What would have been a humourous throwaway line accompanied by a smile and hand gestures over a pint can appear strident and rude when wrtten, even with a sprinkling of emoticons.

totally agree i speak better than i can type and even more so over a pint of becks
2522662512_bf6210708c.jpg

Your right there buddy. But don't you think it's good that on this site people still do even through a screen take it as banter.... It's good chat if you ask me.... But yeah you are still a customiser....;):lol::lol::lol:

im modding my car so it looks stealthy and the performance and handling is slighty better also it gives me a sense of achivement where doing other things may not,
i think modding is a slight or massive compromise (depemding on cash levels etc..)of what you may think perfection for your car or automobile can be!?!

OG to modify something you are changing it to customise you are making it your own! a custom built car from scratch built to ur or some1 elses specs is customising(as above pimp my ride), to change an exhaust so that it is loud or bigger is modifying etc.. as i see it.

I think that your last paragraph proves my point that the two words have become interchangable in the car 'alteration' culture. In order to customise you have to modify. If you modify something you your liking you are customising it :)

However, I still prefer to differentiate between the two. I will continue to call performance alterations modifying and everything else cutomising :)

Your right there buddy. But don't you think it's good that on this site people still do even through a screen take it as banter.... It's good chat if you ask me.... But yeah you are still a customiser....;):lol::lol::lol:

Yup, but sometimes (in the real world) my sense of humour has been miss-interpreted and has got me into a little trouble. I have to, therefore, be a little careful on here but there is still the chance of me overstepping the mark:) If I do, slap me down.

However, I am quite prepared to make an exception in your case. Call me a customiser, would you? I take that as a personal and libellous insult but, as I am a wimp, I will just sulk for a week (my wife reckons I am good at sulking) and call you all of the rude words I can think of, under my breath. So there!

Yup, but sometimes (in the real world) my sense of humour has been miss-interpreted and has got me into a little trouble. I have to, therefore, be a little careful on here but there is still the chance of me overstepping the mark:) If I do, slap me down.

However, I am quite prepared to make an exception in your case. Call me a customiser, would you? I take that as a personal and libellous insult but, as I am a wimp, I will just sulk for a week (my wife reckons I am good at sulking) and call you all of the rude words I can think of, under my breath. So there!

lol you know i'm only playing mate........ :D:D:D

Well, I mod my cars for individuality, the fact that it's one of the most addictive drugs on the planet lmao, oh and because it's truely amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it. Plus it's fun :)

Individuality is my reason too. Everyone else drive the same mass produced cars and none of them are setup how I would like either in the looks or performance department.

It also makes the car more fun to drive.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back