Why are tyres black

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What if you could buy coloured car tyres?

Would you? Does it matter? Why do we have black tyres? Surely other colours are probably more natural? Rubber is after all white in it's raw state. How about some white tyres?

Never thought about it before.
I supposr white tyres would get dirty and black is much better for this and is quite average for a 'colour'
Or maybe its something to do with the compound, maybe somethng they put in them makes them black.

dunno i see alot of brown tyres as well :)
dunno if i would buy different coloured tyres, suppose it may contrast too much with the wheels and bodywork. Think how many cars actually suit white sidewalled tyres apart from a few old rolls i cant think of many ive seen that do look good with then

I can remember that you could buy tyres with different colored tread in the late seventys

Fortunately I am not that old claymore :lol:

Never gave the different coloured tyres thing a single thought until now.
I remember pictures in magazines about some Americans cars with white walls which seem to dominate the tyre. I would have to see these tyres on a range of cars before I could make my mind up as to if I like them or not.

Quite often, the white walls on tyres were actually spats, like T9 would wear over his shoes on a hot night out.

good-point.jpg

I think it is something they put in to stop the tyre from rotting. Original car tyres were white until they started putting the substance in them.

The substance is carbon black. Up to around 50% by volume is added to the rubber. It works as a reinforcing filler in rubber and increases the durability and strength of the rubber.

Adding carbon black also helps conduct heat away from certain hot spots on the tire; specifically, in the tread and belt areas, which can get particularly hot at times while driving. This reduces thermal damage on the tire, which further extends its lifespan.