WHta does it mean?

I find this difficult to explain myself so I stole this from another website. :D

When it comes to an exhaust system, backpressure typically reduces performance. “The backpressure on the exhaust flow can help to reduce sound, but at the same time, it limits engine power,” says MagnaFlow. “This power reduction comes from an inefficient burn in the combustion chamber, where spent exhaust gasses are backed up into the combustion chamber and contaminate the next burn cycle.”

What causes backpressure? “It is often the result of restrictions to exhaust flow,” says MagnaFlow, “which results in pressure buildup in front of the restriction. Turbulence entering or leaving a system component or abrupt changes in the direction of exhaust flow may also add to backpressure in the system.”

According to the company, “A second problem associated with backpressure is heat buildup. ... The heat builds up in the muffler and then backs itself up through the entire exhaust system to the exhaust manifold and engine. This heat retention causes damage to the muffler, as well as the catalytic converter, the system tubing, the manifold and gaskets. Even ignition wires can burn up due to an overheated, inefficient exhaust system.”

No t a bad little pracey Fingers. A loss of all back pressure in the exhaust will also kill your power so there is quite a science to it! It is not an easy one to explain without going into Physics.

waynne said:
It is not an easy one to explain without going into Physics.

Thats why I didn't try :wink: . Putting it simply, no back pressure gives great acceleration but unless you have a HUGE engine, is rubbish for top end. If you have too much back pressure your car won't do much of anything and just the right amount (usually given by a good quality vehicle specific sports exhaust) and you car perform better all round.

Thats why I didn't try :wink: . Putting it simply, no back pressure gives great acceleration but unless you have a HUGE engine, is rubbish for top end. If you have too much back pressure your car won't do much of anything and just the right amount (usually given by a good quality vehicle specific sports exhaust) and you car perform better all round.
i could be totally wrong here, but i hear that a car needs some back pressure, otherwise its bad for the engiene

is this true???