VW T5 swb 2.5tdi
as the thread states who makes the best air filters for performace

K&N
Green Filters
Pipercross​

and which type ie K&N Apollo.....

Last edited:
Other for me.

Used Green and K&N but BMC CDA and ITG are way ahead imo. Currently run a BMC CDA for the last 5+ years with great results and low maintenance.

Currently running a BMC Twin air cone filter and very pleased with the results.
I can also recommend ITG filters, but I really cannot say that anyone in particular stand out as being head and shoulders above the rest :)

If we're considering simple drop in filter elements then there's no benefit over a factory one in my opinion. OK, the reusable filters when soiled work better than an OEM one which is soiled but when new there's little difference.

As such I take the simple route. Replace the OEM one every six months regardless of condition. This takes about 30 seconds and the cost of an OEM paper filter is about a fiver. By comparison an ITG or other filter element is about sixty quid. The cleaning and oiling process is messy and time consuming, meaning I'd have to have two. That's £120 quid plus costs cleaning chemcials and filter oil.

I could replace the OEM one 24 times for that amount of money. Which is twelve years worth of twice per year replacement.

As a lazy individual I'll continue to take the OEM route. Especially given my car which is not a high performance one anyway. The 528i has a 24 valve straight six engine and benefits from the double VANOS variable valve timing system.

It's pretty lively and gets on with the job nicely but it's not a fast car in my opinion and the 1 or 2 bhp I'll gain is not worth worrying over.

I agree to a point about OEM replacement units being cheap and okay if running a quality spec'd car. However for my MG the change from OE to ITG or BMC CDA meant a typical gain of 10bhp proven. The OE set-up on the 2.5 litre KV6 180 was the same unit designed for the Rover 45 using the 2.0 litre KV6, so not ideal and somewhat restricted from the off. If looking to improve the cars performance and /or economy then it is how the whole installation is executed that is key.

Poll updated with more options at the OP's request. BMC were swapped for other but I appreciate probably that those voting other had something else in mind, did anyone want a vote changing in this poll?

I agree to a point about OEM replacement units being cheap and okay if running a quality spec'd car. However for my MG the change from OE to ITG or BMC CDA meant a typical gain of 10bhp proven. The OE set-up on the 2.5 litre KV6 180 was the same unit designed for the Rover 45 using the 2.0 litre KV6, so not ideal and somewhat restricted from the off. If looking to improve the cars performance and /or economy then it is how the whole installation is executed that is key.

How much of that gain is aribox design and placement though? Most of it I reckon. An air filter itself is just an air filter and there's not a huge amount of difference between brands and materials imo.

The biggest difference comes from the design of the box and how it gets its air. Look at the Gruppe M for EP3 for example, proven best gains time and time again and all it contains is a cotton K&N filter. Swap to an ITG element and would you see any gains? I don't think so personally.

as BBJ no contest HKS

Mind you there was a limited choice as only Greddy and HKS seem to make filter pods that fit the 80mm greddy induction ( and the Greddy ones are plastic chrome so they were out )

PS best filtration for performance alone is ..........NONE

I kind of agree with hdi. A lot of the restrictions in standard induction is the design itself. Don't focus sts have the ecu in the airbox itself? That can't help.

There is no definite answer as every engine will respond differently depending on the setup. For my car, Simota intakes are supposed to be the best, but with the 'charger, ITG gave the biggest gains. ATM, I'm just using the OEM intake. BMWs have a good design from the factory.

i just wanted to know peoples thoughts on the filters them selfs not the kits, as im thinking of making my own heat shield like the DaveF kits that used to be avilable a few years ago....

i was looking at K&N as i noticed a few companys using them in hybrid air filter kits like DaveF, GruppeM?

Use a K&N it will be fine. The biggest reason they are used in kits is probably their HUGE range of filters, hundreds of different shapes and sizes so you will almost always find what you need.

i just wanted to know peoples thoughts on the filters them selfs not the kits, as im thinking of making my own heat shield like the DaveF kits that used to be avilable a few years ago....

i was looking at K&N as i noticed a few companys using them in hybrid air filter kits like DaveF, GruppeM?

Most of the guys on here won't know what the Dave F kit is mate. So for those that don't...

It was a home made induction kit made by a guy from a BMW forum. He used a very large cone and pipe (from K&N), also enclosing the kit with a heat shield. It was proved to make very good gains on the dyno. It was originally made for the E36 (6 pots only) and now is made for the E46 (still 6 pots only). It is usually only available through a group buy. It is still available AFAIK and they go for a fair bit on eBay every now and again.

"AFAIK" just had to google that!!!! lol

i was told that davef are no longer being made as the man himself has retired....

Yuggug im looking into the ITG Maxogen filter - 78mm or 93mm ID, heard some really good stuff about the filters so its a bit of a toss up between K&N and ITG i think now

"AFAIK" just had to google that!!!! lol

i was told that davef are no longer being made as the man himself has retired....

Yuggug im looking into the ITG Maxogen filter - 78mm or 93mm ID, heard some really good stuff about the filters so its a bit of a toss up between K&N and ITG i think now

Every now and again he tends to make a batch full if there is enough interest.

What ever you get make sure you get a heatshield for it.

im going to be making a 1.6 or 2mm alu heat sheild for my air filter and have 2 or 3 air feeds, 1 from the standard air feed behind the kidney grill and either 1 or 2 from behind the front bumper.....

Might be better if you can to have the filter in the wing or behind the bumper or front grille if it will fit, rather than in the engine bay. If you can get feed pipes from somewhere like that it's best to have the filter on the end of it.

Might be better if you can to have the filter in the wing or behind the bumper or front grille if it will fit, rather than in the engine bay. If you can get feed pipes from somewhere like that it's best to have the filter on the end of it.

The kidney grills on BMWs provide direct air into the induction kit.

The kidney grills are only a trademark really. Their shape has changed continuously over the years. How do you attach a pipe to the grill when the bonnet is opened occasionally (perhaps to fill the washer tank)

Cold air intake is good but with DPF cars you have to allow the hot air intake to work. and with any car it has to be possible to draw warm air during engine startup and cold running to reduce emissions

The kidney grills are only a trademark really. Their shape has changed continuously over the years. How do you attach a pipe to the grill when the bonnet is opened occasionally (perhaps to fill the washer tank)

Cold air intake is good but with DPF cars you have to allow the hot air intake to work. and with any car it has to be possible to draw warm air during engine startup and cold running to reduce emissions

Have a proper look next time you have the bonnet open mate. The kidney grill to the right (as you look from the front) is used in conjunction with the air intake.

drop in replacement filters are a waste of time and money and makes up for very little of the intake restriction,

look up the intake article on autospeed and you will see

Thats because paper filters trap more dirt than performance replacement elements, paper air filters are better because they are better at doing what they are supposed to do and that filter the air entering the engine, buy a larger airbox off a bigger engine and use a paper filter in that a much better solution

Have a proper look next time you have the bonnet open mate. The kidney grill to the right (as you look from the front) is used in conjunction with the air intake.

Don't think mine is - the air intake feed to the AF housing disappears into the passenger side wing. There are also ducts next to the front fog lamps which direct air into the from wheel arches to cool the front brakes. The kidney grills seem to direct air directly to the top part of the radiator and the A/C condenser rad located directly behind the coolant rad. Somewhere lower down in the front there's an oil cooler and a transmission oil cooler (automatic xmission is probably the reason for this)

hi Guys I am currently running a K&N filter in my 2010 E90 330D I am happy with the performance of the filter it makes a hell of noise (not sure i like it that much) more so lot down in the rev range coupled with the remapp.

so far my money is on the K&N filter

Don't think mine is - the air intake feed to the AF housing disappears into the passenger side wing. There are also ducts next to the front fog lamps which direct air into the from wheel arches to cool the front brakes. The kidney grills seem to direct air directly to the top part of the radiator and the A/C condenser rad located directly behind the coolant rad. Somewhere lower down in the front there's an oil cooler and a transmission oil cooler (automatic xmission is probably the reason for this)

Just had a quick look and it looks like the setup is different on the 3 and 5 series.

It probably is. There's quite a bit more room under the bonnet of an E39 compared to your E36, even with a straight six motor installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
What he said is good advice.Fitting a pod filter in the hot engine bay may look cool BUT is a step backwards .The motor will produce more power with cold air.