Who make the most reliable cars?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
In your opinion who make the most reliable cars?

I always used to think that German engineering was the best in the world but I'm moving over to Japan now.

Honda have the Caveat in my mind for most reliable cars but I'm probably missing a few options out there. So what makers are worth considering when you are looking to buy a reliable car?

strange Skoda is at number 8 and Audi at 34

1 Honda
2 Suzuki
3 Toyota
4= Chevrolet
4= Mazda
6 Ford
7 Lexus
8 Skoda
9= Hyundai
9= Nissan
9= Subaru
12= Daewoo
12= Peugeot
14 Fiat
15 Citroen
16 Smart
17 Mitsubishi
18 Kia
19 Vauxhall
20 Seat
21 Renault
22 Mini
23 Volkswagen
24 Rover
25 Volvo
26 Saab
27 Land Rover
28= BMW
28= MG
30 Jaguar
31 SsangYong
32 Mercedes-Benz
33 Chrysler
34 Audi
35 Jeep
36 Porsche
37 Bentley

The numbers can be fiddled to get the answer wanted .Politicians and bureaucrats are past masters at manipulating /twisting the facts for their own ends.

Well if 7 out of the first 11 come from one country that answers your question obi. However the places are worked out

And assuming ford isn't the American factory no other country manages more than one.

Well if 7 out of the first 11 come from one country that answers your question obi. However the places are worked out

And assuming ford isn't the American factory no other country manages more than one.
That is a pretty impressive outcome for Japan. :D

Who make??
.V( :oops:

I wonder why certain countries perform better? Are they less focussed on profit? Do they have a better work ethic, is the R&D more thorough?

It does seem that as the VAG group pushed up the volume and sales the quality tailed off. I really hope they can recover their tarnished image, I like the cars, the design and the performance.

I think nowadays it is the design that determines reliability. With modern production methods the builds should be consistent

A badly designed bonnet catch for example won't work properly even if fitted by an expert but a really well designed one would even have a chance even if fitted by an idiot .

I do know of someone with a Honda Prelude who has had his from new, drove it to work daily but is now retired. Owned the car for over 20 years now and the money he has spent on it repair-wise in all that time is still only just under a thousand pounds :eek:.....Ruddy marvellous :)

The strenghts lie in the manufacturing of the parts, if the quality control is good then the end product will be good. It doesn't really matter where the cars are assembled, they are pretty much kit based anyway now and anyone with the right tools could put one together.

Cars that appeal to older slower drivers are also reliable, not because they are well made just because they are under stressed and not used to the full potential.

since the Audi I have noticed that other German quality seems to be based on a great marketing myth, 3 brand new Stihl disc cutters this week, only one starts and works, one very old English lawnmower, starts and works every time.
for the first time in my life I am looking for a car which is anything but German, sad but true as a great fan of classic Mercedes

From the cars I have owned 2 stand out Volvo & Honda. However if my Mercedes keeps being 100% reliable for much longer that may join that list. Most unreliable Fiat & Renault.