Who Buys Rolls Royces

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What sort of driver would choose to buy a Rolls Royce?

Are they in fact purchased by "drivers"? Do you think they make a good car if you are after fun? Would you put Bentley into the same category?

If I was in the market for a luxury car I think Bentley would get consideration over RR for me. To be honest though I think a Lexus LS600h would be a better ownership prospect over either.

But this is hypothetical as I don't have a six figure sum handy to spend on a car.

lol you could have lots of fun in a RR phantom ;) plenty of space :lol:

rather have a bently GT coup though

Rolls Royces, in my opinion, are bought buy those who want to be seen sitting in the back being chaufered around, not for themselves to drive. Think as HDI and Massive i woulod go for a bentley - seems to have been a whle lot appeared around here in the past year, interesting to see how bad they are driven though

All I know about RR is the the new C-130j is powered by them. Otherwise I think that Bently has them on styling and drivability.

All I know about RR is the the new C-130j is powered by RR turbines and holy crap at the power now if we can make a prop that can hold that power. Otherwise I think that Bently has them on styling and drive-ability.

RR power alot of the aircraft. but when it comes to their cars they prefer the quiet seemless power that nobody will notcie while sitting in the back.

thought your sig was to do with a car not the hercs

Definitiely. I think the V10 TDi would be a 'slightly' more sensible proposal fuel wise but then they command major money for that reason.

Amazing how sticking a 'VW' badge on things causes the value to drop massivly! The Phaeton being the ultimate example of depreciation.

It is for VW as the cars in general are built to a high standard.

A V12 BMW 750i can be had for pennies as well though. THey're just too thirsty.

What I don't understand is the amount of money old people will pay for a small car with a tiny engine in order to save fuel when they only drive 1000 miles a year.

What I don't understand is the amount of money old people will pay for a small car with a tiny engine in order to save fuel when they only drive 1000 miles a year.

I've tried to explain this to my girlfriends grandfather before. I can't remember how many years I said it'd take him to break even buying his brand new 1.4 over a 5 year old V6 or something... but I think somebody piped up he'd probably be past driving by then!

That said, my grandfather DID get the idea - and used to buy big petrol E-Class mercs second hand for peanuts.

My father in law has a good sense - asks me to suggest and source a vehicle. He's currently in a 98 Camry V6 SE which I hunted down in Jan 2003. OK, road tax is a bit high and 24 MPG actually not bad considering the short journeys he does, the 4 spd auto and the 3 litre engine.

Who cares - depreciation proof now as it's worth zip, Toyota legendary reliability and comfy quiet car. Not especially quick but it holds its own all the same.

Sensible man, that's what I say.