White Smoke

AJP

Car
Audi A4 1.8T
I have a broken dipstick. oil keeps comming out the top. So I got a new one and when i put it in the car and run the car for a few mins i got white smoke comming out the exhaust. Pulled the dipstick out with the car running and it has alot of pressure behind it and then the smoke stops.

Could be a blocked oil pump. This is quite common in these engines if the right oil is not used. Try a full oil flush and refill with VAG spec oil (vw503 or vw 504 I think) it must be fully synthetic and 5w30.

Burning oil tends to have a blueish smoke. When did the cambelt and water pump last get changed? Is it running hot?

Very odd symptoms you have. White smoke is usually associated with burning anti-freeze caused by HGF or a cracked head allowing coolant to be burned. Bottom end pressure is when the compression rings are showing signs of wear thus pressurising the block, but I would expect there to be blue smoke as some oil would be forced through the breather system and burnt off as part of the emissions circuit. I could be wrong but speaking from previous encounters they are similar but never had them at the same time.

Could be a blocked oil pump. This is quite common in these engines if the right oil is not used. Try a full oil flush and refill with VAG spec oil (vw503 or vw 504 I think) it must be fully synthetic and 5w30.

Burning oil tends to have a blueish smoke. When did the cambelt and water pump last get changed? Is it running hot?

I had the water pump done and head gasket done because the water pump spindle broke and the car overheated in 2009. At the same time he done the cambelt. I put a new turbo on the car in Febuary 2011, Changed the oil and antifreeze then.

It does run hot in traffic and comming to think of it i dont ever hear the engine fan starting up. But it dont overheat.

There is some blue smoke but mostly white.

Could there be a blocked breather pipe somewhere?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back