Which Induction Kit?

PUG

Hi everyone,
Just became a member in an attempt to learn a bit about moding my 205 GTI 1.6.

I am considering putting an induction kit on her to start with. Does anyone have any suggestions? Was looking at Pipercross Viper kit.
Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt and welcome to TorqueCars its nice to have you along. The 205 GTi's are fun cars - that takes me back a few years!

I think you would be better of with a panel filter if you are looking for more power - the induction kits are great for noise but on the smaller engine sizes you lose some low down power.

hi mate just been reading that you thinking about piper x kit have you looked at the cda kit from bmc i have one on my 206 and it works fine but you do lose a bit of low end power

With a 1.8 you should see power gains throughout the rev range on an induction kit. It will also make a fantastic noise but do remember to get a cold air feed.

A panel filter will keep the noise levels as they are and give a bit more power but not quite as much as an induction kit.

how much bhp gain do you get on avaerage from using an induction kit on a 1.8? which ones are the best to buy? do they affect the power in the low rev range?

depends but i wouldnt be looking at more than maybe 5-8bhp.
normally the best ones are the ones with a heatshield around the filter. something like BMC do carbon containers around their filters, K&N do a metal plate

On a 1.8 you shouldn't get a noticable loss of power at the lower end. The extra volume of the engine means it sucks harder wheras on smaller engines you often get this loss of power lower down.

I've been doing some research on k&n induction kits, which i'd prefer, but they do not make one specific for the 2001 model 1.8 engine unless anyone would kno otherwise?

Who can advise me?
i'm thinking about getting a K&N apollo cold air intake system for my peugeot 306 1.8.
who has had one?
What power gain do you get from it?
and is it worth the money?

Also i read it is tricky to install?

Hi Davrules. Most induction kits produce the same sort of power gains. Some move the power band around a bit but in generally they are all much the same. The cold intakes are a very good idea and solve much of the power loss of having an induction kit.

The kits come with full fitting instructions, anything is fiddly the first time you do it but you should be ok. You can always get your local garage to help out if you get really stuck.

ok last and final question;

which do you think offers the better low down power performance?;

Between the K&N apollo cis or BMC cda

Who can advise me?
i'm thinking about getting a K&N apollo cold air intake system for my peugeot 306 1.8.
who has had one?
What power gain do you get from it?
and is it worth the money?

Also i read it is tricky to install?

306's are easy to work on id say,

out of all the induction kits and looking asome real test figure the ITG Maxogen kit provides the best gains followed by the BMC CDA and pipercross viper....how ever there kits use the closed carbon fibre boxes and are very expensive....i'd say stick with the K&n kit and you can't go wrong or the normal pipercross kit (that what I've got)

but if you looking for big gains an induction kit on it's own really isn't going to cut the mustard look into remapps and full exahsuts as well...as far as cams go for the 1.8 16v i don't think you can get them (uprated ones that is) but i have known turbos been fitted to those engines with very interresting results