Which family car should I get?

adam1983

Road Burner
Car
Supra T67dbb 6Spd
After some advice and opinions.
Basically I have narrowed the search down to 2 potential cars which meet the criteria.
Needs to be diesel with good mpg.
5 doors
Decent interior
Cheap to maintain
Not likely to have any issues

Anyway the 2 cars I have in mind are:
Ford focus 2 litre tdi in the best trim
Honda civic 2.2 tdi in the best trim

My budget for the family car is around 5k so looking at 05/06 models. Mileage wise anything under 100k so long as its been well looked after.

Any input would be most appreciated :)

My first thought was to get a mondeo but this car is primarily going to be used by the Mrs and she has told me she only wants a small car.
Basically its between a civic and a focus :)

ford deisels need more maintainance than most once they get to around 70K even late cars

You could get a top spec renault scenic for that money or a peugot 407 and the engines are way better than fords ( especially the 1.9 renault engine)
The ford deisels often need a lot of work as they clog up a lot around the above mileage.

trying to steer clear of the french brands. she has a 206 at the moment and had nothing but problems since she bought it.
anyone have any experience with the 2.2 civics? Interior on them looks really nice but not sure how reliable they are as not had a diesel before.

Looks nice joe. Only problem with that one is its 3 door. Need 5 door for getting kid in and out the car easily.

Most diesels come with turbo's these days, so full service history is paramount. Thick oil will half the age of a turbo so getting it serviced regularly is key.

I'm not a fan of Jap Diesels. I have never been in a second hand one and thought ''this is a good car''.

You say you want to steer clear of french cars, but the chances are anything other than a VAG group will contain a Renault engine if the diesel is below 2L.

I know this because I have a 1.9 renault engine in my Volvo of all cars.

Where as a petrol car, you would be looking at around 70ish K miles before you start to look at clutch issues or timing belt problems.

A diesel you want to be more worried about the age of it. The batteries tend to go more often due to the amount of draw you get from them. Therefore alternators tend to go a bit more often than a petrol as well. Clutches aren't an issue providing its not been driven by a tool. PTN, I'd never buy a diesel off a woman as they (please don't think I'm sexist) tend to rest there foot on the clutch, and burn it out quicker.

If I had the choice, id go ford everytime. Yeah, it will be in the shop more often with things going wrong on it, but a new engine only costs the same as a pint of milk. Where as honda's will cost you the earth to replace parts.

Last edited:
The French 2.2 HDi unit is really good so I wouldn't mind owning any car with one of those in it.

Have you looked at the Seat Leon 2.0Tdi?

Of the two cars you've chosen I'd go with the Civic. I like the interior better and they do make pretty reliable cars.

Had a quick look at some Seat Leon's but there just seems to be a much bigger availabilty of the Ford Focus which is most likely what I will go with now. Unless something else comes up thats decent and not far to look at :)

Hate looking for family cars as I dont have as much interest as when im looking for something decent. Still getting a Gtr though so not getting too down about the car hunt ;)

Hate looking for family cars as I dont have as much interest as when im looking for something decent. Still getting a Gtr though so not getting too down about the car hunt ;)

Absolutely, and as you stated earlier, it is primarily for your young lady ;)

have you looked at the mazda 3? my mate had 1 as a courtesy car all black with leather and a 2ltr diesel lump quite poky yet still good on the juice and didn't look to bad and very roomy inside!

have you looked at the mazda 3? my mate had 1 as a courtesy car all black with leather and a 2ltr diesel lump quite poky yet still good on the juice and didn't look to bad and very roomy inside!

I will have a look and see what's out there. Not sure if they do them in 5 door but if so then worth looking at.

Thanks for all the input guys

Mazda 3's come in 5 door buddy.
They are good but I'd still choose a Focus personally.
I have drove both and for me personally the focus was the better car.
The Mazda 3 was a bit sloppy in the bends for my liking.
Go have a test drive of each before you make up you mind pal.

Mazda 3's come in 5 door buddy.
They are good but I'd still choose a Focus personally.
I have drove both and for me personally the focus was the better car.
The Mazda 3 was a bit sloppy in the bends for my liking.
Go have a test drive of each before you make up you mind pal.

The Mazda 3 was sloppy in the bends?? Which one did you drive? The only one ever made with a smooth ride?

I used to have a 323, and my mate has currently got a diesel Mazda 3 and it is stiff as you like. I think they are far too stiff for a comfortable ride. U seem to feel every little bump and lump in the road. That is what puts me off em anyway.

It was a diesel 59 plate Mazda 3. No where near as stiff or as grippy than the Focus.
I've driven around 3 or 4 different Mazda 3's and the Focus win hands down. Even the diesel Focus.

The Mazda 3 was sloppy in the bends?? Which one did you drive? The only one ever made with a smooth ride?

I used to have a 323, and my mate has currently got a diesel Mazda 3 and it is stiff as you like. I think they are far too stiff for a comfortable ride. U seem to feel every little bump and lump in the road. That is what puts me off em anyway.

Me mates 56 plate is stiff as. They must have had a lot of complaints and soften'd it up a little. Mazda's in my experience seem to be revy little buggers, that hug the road well, but are poor on fuel and parts are expensive. I wouldn't have another again in a hurry.

You could easily get a top specifications renault pictures que for that cash or a peugot 407 and the google is way better than fords -specifically the 1.9 renault engine-
The honda deisels often need a lot of perform as they block up a lot around the above usage.. . . . .

Good thing with Fords is there are a million out there to choose from. Bits for them cost peanuts and there's a huge aftermarket parts range.

Ever thought of a Volvo V50 - same plus points as the C30 mentioned above, but 5 doors. An estate but a trim, compact one, so it's not a barge. Just a little smaller than my Signum, which IMO is an absolutely fantastic family car. 5 comfy seats, flat boot floor for easy loading and a vast load space when the back seats fold down. Dunno about the V50 but my seats fold completely flat so give a huge amount of space when needed.

In fact, get a siggie.