Which engine? Which mods?

Bokino

Car
2002 Honda Civic
Hey new member here :)
I'm buying a civic some time in the near future that I would like to upgrade.
I can get one fairly cheap here with a K20A3 engine. So basically wondering what you guys know about this engine?(I'm in Canada so I'm not sure what the difference is in engines/parts) Is it any good at all or should I just go for a cheap car with poor engine and do an engine swap? I would only want about 190+ BHP from the thing. So i would need to get 30+ HP from mods to the engine if I used the K20A3. Any idea how much this would cost and what would I need to do to accomplish this. I also want to upgrade handling/braking so any recommendations there would be welcome as well. My budget after buying the car is about 5k Canadian dollars(3.2k pounds)

No we can't get a type r engine from here. We have the civic si instead which has the 160 bhp engine. I could get a type r engine imported from Japan for about 2.2k pounds

I would get an EM1 (the 160bhp version before the model you're looking at - click for picture). You'll get a B16A2 in this, but if it's not enough you can just swap in the B18C5 (these are the USDM engine codes) and you'll have 195bhp on tap.

hi guys
can u help me plz, how can i tuned a honda civic 1.6 vtec s
n any where can i get a not expensive alloys wheels with tyre pls

hey and welcome to the site mate.

what age of 1.6 it will be expensive most likely short of buying a more powerful one or swapping the engine.

ebay can turn up some cheap alloys that a quick refurb will make them look good again

ok do u think adding a induction kit and change the exhaust as well
do u think worthy
its a reg02 car and i havent got an alloys wheel on it
which lowering spring would u suggest and a coilover is it better or worst??

hi guys
can u help me plz, how can i tuned a honda civic 1.6 vtec s
n any where can i get a not expensive alloys wheels with tyre pls

Hi and welcome mate. My first bit of advice for you is don't cheap out. Buy cheap, buy twice. If you don't want to pay much for alloys then scour eBay for second hand alloys. Then get yourself a decent set of rubber. Especially this time of year. Remember the tyres are the only part of the car in contact with the road. You get what you pay for!

ok do u think adding a induction kit and change the exhaust as well
do u think worthy
its a reg02 car and i havent got an alloys wheel on it
which lowering spring would u suggest and a coilover is it better or worst??

An induction kit and exhaust is a good start and will help free up a few horses. However, at the end of the day you may as well just swap in the K20 from the Type R, or just buy one. Harsh, but true.

Lowering springs vs coilovers all depends on budget and usage.

Hi prince, sorry mate i didnt understand the part , k20 from a type r, do u mean the induction kit or the whole engine?:(

n on ebay they is a place where they do full exhaust system do u think its worthy looking at it

n about the lowerin spring, someone told me that if i go coilover , the handling will hard
if i go for lowering spring, which one would b better for my car n do i need to get shock absorber aswell.

thnks prince

he means to swap the whole engine over.

you could pick up the engine and have it fitted for a coulple of grand possibly and have more or less doubled your engine output.

or you could through a couple grand at your engine and have a stressed 1.6 with possible still less power than the type R.

coilover vs lowering springs debate goes on for every single car going, in short if your going to track your car then going for a good coilover setup would most likely be best.

a decent spring and dampner kit will be better than a cheap coilover kit. so again it comes down to budget.

Hi prince, sorry mate i didnt understand the part , k20 from a type r, do u mean the induction kit or the whole engine?:(

n on ebay they is a place where they do full exhaust system do u think its worthy looking at it

n about the lowerin spring, someone told me that if i go coilover , the handling will hard
if i go for lowering spring, which one would b better for my car n do i need to get shock absorber aswell.

thnks prince

The entire engine. The intake doesn't fit. To judge the eBay exhaust I'd have to see the advert mate. eBay manifolds tend to be poo, so based on that I would leave well alone. A decent exhaust brand new will cost around £600 (off-the-shelf).

The ride stiffness depends on the coilovers themselves. It comes down to usage vs budget everytime. For example, I'm planning on using the track next year so I set a budget (mine was £1000) and tried to find the best I could for that budget. In the end I spent just over £800 (before labour). I also put coilovers on my Civic. If I was only going to use the car on the road (and keep things comfortable) then I would go for springs and shocks. What are you using the car for?

he means to swap the whole engine over.

you could pick up the engine and have it fitted for a coulple of grand possibly and have more or less doubled your engine output.

or you could through a couple grand at your engine and have a stressed 1.6 with possible still less power than the type R.

coilover vs lowering springs debate goes on for every single car going, in short if your going to track your car then going for a good coilover setup would most likely be best.

a decent spring and dampner kit will be better than a cheap coilover kit. so again it comes down to budget.