Which diesel??

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
I have just purchased a newish but high mileage diesel and was thinking ...."Is there much difference between the different brands etc?"
Are there any particular brands which are proven to be kinder to the engine. Thank you

I found BP Ultimate to be very good. (How many cars do you actually need?) :)

Well to be honest I need 2 working reliable cars (one family car and one workhorse which hopefully should be a drivers car and a motorhome.
The trouble is I haven't had any luck with mechanics or cars lately, my saab and mondeo have been broken since last year),,,,

Mondeos have problematic injectors, and saab engines have problematic injector pumps, good quality diesel should keep the problems at bay, any branded diesel should be fine, just stay away from the supermarkets.

Mondeos have problematic injectors, and saab engines have problematic injector pumps, good quality diesel should keep the problems at bay, any branded diesel should be fine, just stay away from the supermarkets.

^^^^ totally agree ^^^^^ Diesel fuel used to be crude. With today's common rail systems it has to be immaculately clean. BP Ultimate diesel was my fuel of choice.

I'm still unsure what to put in the Astra tractor when I get it.
It's going to be having the higher rating stuff just don't know which brand yet?

BP ultimate is very good indeed, and the performance gain can actually be felt, however because I use old school diesels I have other problems to contend with.
Crap quality diesel isn't one of them because it will run on anything, even parafin or engine oil, clean or dirty (after it's had the bits of crud filtered out) however the problem with diesel for new engines is the lubricating properties, yes it has better lubricating properties than petrol but still not the best for old injector pumps.
Since the EU said all diesel must now have a low sulphur content (which is the main lubricant) but you can just add used engine oil, clean mineral oil or 2 stroke oil or even veg oil to compensate.

I can tell you catagoricly that the raw product (the diesel itself) is the same no matter where you buy it, it's the additives that very from company to company supermarkets just have the raw product and is cheaper, because they don't spend any money on R&D for additives.

Jarrus, what is the best diesel to use for old engines like ours?

BP ultimate diesel? Or is there anything else you recommened?

The big brands have massive R&D departments and this investment is usually reflected in the final product.

Shell is a personal fave of mine but there are no stations near me which is a shame.

Performance diesel is a fantastic amount of money per litre, are the gains really worthy of such a price tag I wonder?

I suppose the gains are worth it. I measured how many miles I did from near empty using pump diesel. I managed 150 ish miles on £20 of diesel. On BP ultimate, bare in mind it costs more and you dont get as much, covered around the same. If BP preserves the engine and makes it run better, I'll pay for it. I'll have to do a more accurate test once my fuel tank is empty!

I use either Shell vpower or shell standard diesel, both work well and are so much better than pretty much all the other local fuel choices. The car runs noticeably smoother and cleaner.

Mine has a missed beat when idling, particularly on a downward slope. With Shell it is virtually gone, it does take a few hundred miles to clear up the engine but whenever I use cheap fuel the missed beat rumble is back.

Mine has a missed beat when idling, particularly on a downward slope. With Shell it is virtually gone, it does take a few hundred miles to clear up the engine but whenever I use cheap fuel the missed beat rumble is back.
Interesting cos my car has a slight stutter at 1500rpm when decelerating off throttle.

I've never used 'cheap' fuel (ie Supermarket fuel) apart from the occasional experiment. I am comparing, for example, Esso Regular Diesel with Esso Supreme Diesel.

Strangely when it comes to food shopping I am not remotely brand fussy. My favourite places are Aldi and Lidl. In fact, I rate their in house brands so highly that I'd be likely to try petrol or diesel if either diversified into forecourt fuel.