Which are the best exhaust makers

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
There seems to be so many around, it's difficult to choose

Miltek, Scorpion, Jetex, Akrapovic, Powerflow, Piper Are they all the same in terms of performance or do some of them work better than others?

Do they give different sounds?

Which have you had fitted to your car?

If you want quality then custom is the way to go if you have a heavily modified car.

For most road cars there is not a lot to choose between the brands IMO unless you favour a certain sound or exhaust note.

I have had Scorpion fitted to a car and it worked well. My wife said the car sounds Farty though! I liked it and the added plus was that at the right RPM you could set off car alarms as you drove past!

the added plus was that at the right RPM you could set off car alarms as you drove past!

My GTR had a Japspeed titanium exhaust on which while parked in the garage at the back of our house, it would set the car alarms off in the street at the front of the house. It was very loud but also made journeys very tiring with the drone it made. Soon changed to Nismo Weldina NE1 Y pipe design exhaust which was heavier and still loud but much better tone due to the heavier steel and active silencer.
Been looking at Miltek for the Golf but at a granda for full system don't think the gain compared to cost is justifiable.

i vote for supersprint quality systems with extensive testing and proven gains.

also longlife in stockport make high quality stuff and are well worth considering

it depends what you want (as always)

And as with most things at the top level there is no substitute for a proffessionally desined and purpose built one off system, They will therefore be priced accordingly. Of course these one off systems are only of value to very heavily modded cars,
The level of "skill" required to build these will be in the scope of few places and certainly none of the "exhaust centres" you normally see .
but thats ok because the main reason people go these centres is to get a non maintainace stainless system which they certainly can supply.
Their "skill level " however is usually limited to making the tail pipe join to the exhaust at the front of the car. This however is all that most people want (or need) so these centres certainly do have a purpose.
But try talking to them about making say equal lenght downpipes (which I did ) and they were lost . Plus most cant bend a 3 inch pipe properly let alone a 4 inch.

you're right there...^^

however John Ashley exhausts in Walsall knows what he's talking about when it comes to 1 off exhausts... been recommended by loads of people and after having a chat with him... well lets just say i'll be seeing him in the future