Which 2 car makers will survive

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If things got really bad and there were only 2 car makers left which 2 car makers would you like to see remain and why?

I thought if I put just 1 we would all choose our own car makers.

I would choose Honda for the wide range of cars and superb engines and Audi as you still need a high quality german car maker left. My second choices would include Porsche and Ford.

Ford, without a doubt. Their quality control is superb. The products are innovative and attractively priced. Whether that would remain so in a monopoly is questionable. With no competition they could be a sloppy as they like.

Seondly, I'd vote for Skoda. It was this or Honda but Waynne's already nominated Honda.

id agree with ford becasue they have sucha range from really cheap KAs to more executive mondeos, but then you would have to have some nuts cars still around, that arnt that expensive like TVRs, or it would just be boring lol

Well I'd straight away go for TVR, but I guess you all knew I was gonna say that :p

Secondly I'd go with Ford, for your standard run of the mill cars

Ford. Are you serious?

The ergonomics are crap (friend of mine, who is petite - she could pass for 16 easily - got backache in the back of a Focus. No, not doing *that* either you dirty minded lot!).

Skoda - always found them solid and reliable.

Lotus - one of the best cars for fun I understand.

Ford. Are you serious?

The ergonomics are crap (friend of mine, who is petite - she could pass for 16 easily - got backache in the back of a Focus. No, not doing *that* either you dirty minded lot!).

Ford are really good cars. The Focus in my opinion is a very comfy ride although I haven't sat in the back of mine.
I vote ford and Mitsubishi.

I used to detest Fords but for me 1998 was the turning point with the Focus.

They've not made a bad car since. I'd struggle to justify anything over a Mondeo for the size of car I prefer. 2.5 Petrol Turbo probably with 2.2 TDCi a close second close.

ooooh your just copying the newbie with TVR and Ford
Im jokin, good choice

Good to see another TVR fan :bigsmile:

As for ford, the focus is possibly the best of the hatchbacks. Dunno how your friend got back problems but I doubt it's the cars fault. Ford are nothing special or exciting however, but thats what TVRs for, the ford would just be for taking the kids to school and shopping trips

if not ford then Honda

Last edited:
Exactly, ford are nothign special, just simple, well made and practical. then TVRs are for the weekend, there the fasest for that kind of money so an obvious choice.
Mitsubuishi isnt a bad call, sensible cars like a colt and then fast cars like the evo's.
Skoda ? no way lol they have no distinct characteristic over any other manurfacture ?

Ford - Quality and practicality
TVR - Value for money and Speeeeed

Ford. Are you serious?

Not to offend or anything, but i ust think TVRs are just a better car than lotus' all round, faster, better made, asthetically and more practical. I like lotus' but they are too toy-like, and are mainly for bald men having a mid life crisis. good cars but TVRs are just so much more sophisticated cars, without losing the ability to be absolutly nuts, sick cars

Ive made my opinion about skods clear in the post above lol

not too bad looking either, Fords new range is definately one of the best to come out recently, apart from the new Ka, all the rest are brilliant

Exactly, ford are nothign special, just simple, well made and practical. then TVRs are for the weekend, there the fasest for that kind of money so an obvious choice.
Mitsubuishi isnt a bad call, sensible cars like a colt and then fast cars like the evo's.
Skoda ? no way lol they have no distinct characteristic over any other manurfacture ?

Ford - Quality and practicality
TVR - Value for money and Speeeeed

How can you say Fords are nothing special.
What about this.
Ford-FocusRS-15.jpg

I agree. Ford has something for most tastes now. Fair enough, even the liveliest RS or ST model is not going to be a match for a TVR or Porsche but we're talking very different budgets here.

Perhaps this thread should be split between mainstream and exotics.

The only things I wish Ford would do are;

1. Start using the 2.7 V6 diesel engine

2. Bring back the V6 petrols for the Mondeo range. Good as the 2.5 turbo is (and it's brilliant) I'd like to see a turbocharged 3.2 V6 Duratec motor.

I suspect that Ford is avoiding both in order to comply with across the range CO2 emissions targets. This is daft. Let's imagine we all went and bought basic 1.8 petrol Mondeos and then proceeded to thrash them to get some reasonable performance. This surely is dirtier than driving a larger engine more gently.

How can you say Fords are nothing special.
What about this.
stunning motors :bigsmile: but there has 1 already been written off and another vandalized and had its wheels stolen shame cause in the process of getting the wheels the thieves jacked it up in the wrong place and have dented the sills and doors :(

Last edited by a moderator:
stunning motors :bigsmile: but there has 1 already been written off and another vandalized and had its wheels stolen shame cause in the process of getting the wheels the thieves jacked it up in the wrong place and have dented the sills and doors :(

They want their fingers chopping off.

to right mate well heres a pic of the written of 1 real shame :(
frs.jpg

and the 1 that had been vandalized and had the wheels stolen all traces of pics and the threads seem to have been erased cause there was alot of talk about an inside job ;)

I agree. Ford has something for most tastes now. Fair enough, even the liveliest RS or ST model is not going to be a match for a TVR or Porsche but we're talking very different budgets here.

If they'd made the RS 4WD like they should have though it would've had serious potential. With 10K I reckon I could build one that would be a match for your average 911s and TVR's.

I agree, but it's still no 4WD! I wonder if they were too scared to be put into the same league as Evo's and Scoobys? lol.

4wd has got to be superior to 2wd. I think your're right - if they'd done a 4wd derivative then it would have cost more (traction control is cheaper, although inferior to full time 4wd). This would have put it against the very stiff competition from proven cars such as Impreza and Mitsubishi Evo.

As it is there's little you can buy new for £25k with such an astonishing mix of abilities. Then chuck in the fact that it seats five adults and it's not even noisy or uncomfortable.

wait a while and some 1 will make a new rs 4wd on passion ford and then this will show ford that they should have done it as standard!!!! i dont care how good the lsd diff and suspension is they should have made it 4wd!!!!!

That's kind of what I'm saying - the diff locks, torque management etc. have been used as a way to keep the price down.

IF 4wd added another £6k to the price then there's some very stiff competition the car would be stacked against. I suspect that's Ford's reasoning. There's not much at that price point that can touch it.

As it is, in 2wd form, it's a bargain.

haha okay you have a point that is a class car
but it still isnt as nuts as a TVR and not half as fast
but yeh i guess its pretty special (Y)

Has anyone driven the new Focus?
I can tell you through experience that it isn't lacking in terms of grip. It's especially good in the wet.
Tvr's may be faster in a straight line but you put them both on a twisty country lane and see which comes out the other end first. I think you'd be suprised.

Yes I have. Not the RS though. The Focus has always had unbelieveable grip right ftom the most basic 1.4 CL upwards.

I think what we're discussing is sticking 305bhp down through the front wheels only.

This has got somewhat off-topic.

It seems the minute anyone mentions Ford that you're accused of dismissing TVR.

But surely TVR dont exist any more as a company? Unless they have been ressurected recently.