Where to start?

rorykerrc

Car
Pug 206 1.6 HDi Gti
Hi guys,

Very new to the idea of ACTUALLY modifying my car (even though I have known it was possible) ...

I have a Peugeot 206 HDI Gti 1.6, and am looking to increase power plus a bit of an increase in economy, if possible. I am not really looking to change much of its looks, other than alloys.

Just wondered what you thought, and where the best place to start would be?

Cheers in advance for any replies and opinions.

As it's already a gti it should have decent brakes and suspension as standard. You don't need to change anything else, you are only making the engine more powerful.

As long as you keep to a sensible upgrade in the remap then you shouldn't need to change the clutch either - the remapper can advise you on this. Remaps are a win-win on a diesel.

Deffinatly worth remapping, also if your car has a DPF it is worth removing also, any good remapper will be able to advise on doing this, Celtic Tuning is one of them.

Yeah, i think that will be the way to go ... I was thinking (only slightly) that I might switch from the 110HDi to the 180Gti ... any thoughts on that?

Depends, do you do a lot of miles? Do you like revvy engines or torquey engines. I had a clio 172, same kind of car as a gti 180 and it was superb fun but to get anywhere you had to rev its nuts off. A torquey diesel with gti handling sounds very appealing.

Plus for a few hundred quid you get massive gains in power on a diesel, you'd have to pay far more for the same percentage gain on a n/a petrol.

Very true ... remapping the HDi it is then, i think ... you reckon its worth getting an induction kit? Or will it ultimately do very little to performance if i get it remapped?

Remapping will give you a stonking increase in torque and driveability. Wouldn't worry too much about induction kits to be honest - these engines will top out at about 5000rpm so you're not going to gain much in normal usage. Apart from lots more noise.

You'll see about 150bhp and 250 ish lbft with a remap. Consider that my BMW 24 valve 528i only has 224lbft and you'll get a feel for the shove on offer in your much smaller and lighter car.

Most people are absolutely blown away by the results a diesel remap can achieve when they first drive their car after it's been tuned. Takes a few hundred miles for the muscle to really come on song but you'll spot it immediately, make no mistake.

Go for the remap and don't try to find negative side of it as there isn't one really as long you do it with professionals ;)

I gained extra 28 BHP, at least, and +35 Nm of torque :) Plus much sharper throttle and better sound plus 1-2mpg's.
A pure joy and extra performance which will put a big smile on your face, guarantee.
Worth spending money on it.

Well, as the throttle response increased, plus extra power and torque, I do feel that car is faster from 0-60, I haven't measure it yet, but the original 0-60 was 6.7s so now I would say is 6.0s or maybe even a 1s off the original time ..... but thats base on remap, cotton air filter and filling the tank with vpower all the time
And as Yugguy said, car its much faster and responsive when overtaking and driving along.
So you wont be disappointed with it for sure.