Where does the term funny car come from

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Does anyone know the real story behind the name Funny Car? We all use the term and know what it refers to but I've just found out where the name came from.

(This is where i find out that I was the only one who didn't know!)

It's because when you look at the car it doesn't look stock. Mainly because the rear wheels are so big and was moved a little forwards when built years ago. Hence the name "Funny".

As I understand it, it's from the 1960's, prior to the class being called Funny Car. The cars originally were called Factory Expriementals, the class suffix being AA/FX. Because little was known about chassis dynamics at the time, ride height of what was essentially a factory spec chassis, was increased, to allow larger rear tyres to sit under the backend. In addition, the general stance was altered to assist in transferring power to the rear.

The term Funny Car came about as a result, as they looked like jacked up production cars, with Kinsler injectors poking out through the bonnet. The name stuck, whilst chassis development increased and into centre driven, 125" wheelbase cars on the now familiar 17" wide slicks.

Yup thats the one. I was thinking it was down to the fact they use nitrous or Giggle gas but it was quite interesting to read up on the history of drag racing.