When to walk away

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When should you just walk away from a project?

A lot of projects reach a point where the cost to complete them far outweighs any residual value of the car or the time and effort needed is realistically too great!

Have you ever given up on a car? Does giving up exist in your vocabulary?

I don't think I'll ever give up! I think some people blow projects way out of proportion and give up as they try to do too many things all at once. I have had my car for 2 years now and slowly, but surely its being done up to a suitable standard. Plus, It's a learning curve for me to try out loads of options! So I am learning and enjoying what I am doing, plus, not spending much in the process. I think real good preparation is important! and making realistic decesions. Its all fine to say yeah, my car is going to twin turbo'd but, what about pistons, rods, crank etc etc....

Last edited:
Well the grief I'm having I have thought about walking away, but perserverence is the key.
You very rarely get the cash you have spent on cars back.

All true projects that I have ever seen cost way in excess of the residual value of the car but we still finish them.....................

and come back for more

The thing you will notice about these Forum is that there are few people over 60 & even less over 67 so its age & change in responsibilities that stops even the most dedicated.
Ive modded cars for nearly 50 years & its only in the last 4 years my interest has started to wane. Im not prepared to spend hours on the floor under a car anymore my bones the next day tell be it aint good :p. On the Forum im on most with 50k members only 3 are over 67 & none over 70 so i guess even i will walk away very soon.

Blimey Rod don't do that :amazed: I look up to you as a source of inspiration for my own meagre efforts! :)

The thing you will notice about these Forum is that there are few people over 60 & even less over 67 so its age & change in responsibilities that stops even the most dedicated.
Ive modded cars for nearly 50 years & its only in the last 4 years my interest has started to wane. Im not prepared to spend hours on the floor under a car anymore my bones the next day tell be it aint good :p. On the Forum im on most with 50k members only 3 are over 67 & none over 70 so i guess even i will walk away very soon.

That's why my garage and workshop are heated and carpeted and the car is on a hydraulic lift :)