When Necessity becomes the mother of invention

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Have you ever not had the right tool for the job but managed to cobble something together that worked?

I have just finished extending the threads on my suspension mount studs. The front ones were easy but the back studs were a problem as the chassis was in the way of the dia holder. To solve this I bought a dia nut (this is a dia that is a hex shape rather than circular so you can use a socket, extension and T-bar instead of the strandard dia holder.

This worked fine until the stud hit the end of the socket. To get round this I machined the inside of an old imperial socket (I had a couple of the same size) so I could pressure fit the dia holding socket inside it. An incidental bonus was that the stud just fitted inside the1/2" hole in the end of the socket and this kept the socket and dia straight.

cuttingstudthreads.jpg

cuttingstudthreads1.jpg

cuttingstudthreads2.jpg

Have you ever not had the right tool for the job but managed to cobble something together that worked?

I have just finished extending the threads on my suspension mount studs. The front ones were easy but the back studs were a problem as the chassis was in the way of the dia holder. To solve this I bought a dia nut (this is a dia that is a hex shape rather than circular so you can use a socket, extension and T-bar instead of the strandard dia holder.

This worked fine until the stud hit the end of the socket. To get round this I machined the inside of an old imperial socket (I had a couple of the same size) so I could pressure fit the dia holding socket inside it. An incidental bonus was that the stud just fitted inside the1/2" hole in the end of the socket and this kept the socket and dia straight.

cuttingstudthreads.jpg

cuttingstudthreads1.jpg

cuttingstudthreads2.jpg

Good job OG, I think if it was me I'd probably would have tried to get a spanner on there & ruined it in the process! :lol:

280317_386x360.ashx

a posh duct ;)

flowchart_zpsc42389bf.jpg

Good job OG, I think if it was me I'd probably would have tried to get a spanner on there & ruined it in the process! :lol:
/QUOTE]

Yes, I have tried that before and, yes, it does ruin the thread :)

Good job. I have a few die nuts of metric and imperial sizes in the garage, always useful. I too have made up long reach tools to do similar tricks, also made up some long reach drill bits by brazing a drill bit into a length of silver steel. I did have a set made up of the tapping drill sizes for most metrics.

When I swapped my flywheel for a lightened one I had to make up a locking tool. I cut a section off an old flywheel ring gear and clamped this to one of the gearbox bolt holes, meshed the offcut against the flywheel ring gear and voila!

Having a socket not long enough to reach the nut I am after, so instead using a large flathead driver, to undo the nut! Sounds stupid, but works rather well.

Thinking abut it, I reckon he is tapping the nut round with the screwdriver.

No, not quite got that. Please expand.

Yeah... This is way back! Who resurrected an old thread!? What I was meant to say was, the socket wrench wasn't long enough with the socket I needed to reach a nut. So... I use a very long screw driver, insert it into the socket which is on the nut then either undo or tighten to a point where tightening with a socket wrench isn't as much of a fight. Does that make more sense?

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back