when is the right time to speed ?

geraint13

Pro Tuner
Car
Zafira 1.9 SRI
I got done for speeding late last year. 37 in 30. Going on to a 60mph road. Instead of 3 points and 60 quid fine i opted for the speed awareness Course which is 85 quid. Don't get the points etc.
I was asked the question above and my answer was when I deem it safe to do so.
You can imagine what the reply was off the guy running the course.
Although I spent 4 hours in a room with 25 other people I found it informative.
So what's your replies to the question ?

Was also told that the 10% rule on speed limits has been axed. Is that true ?

Lets all wait for HDI to give us the letter of the law in his own words :embarrest::lol:

No, imo on a motorway, when it is clear, 80/90 is acceptable.

I speed, not by much, but I do. I tend to find joy in staying to 60. No matter how many S's the road thro's at me :blink1:

I got done for speeding late last year. 37 in 30. Going on to a 60mph road. Instead of 3 points and 60 quid fine i opted for the speed awareness Course which is 85 quid. Don't get the points etc.
I was asked the question above and my answer was when I deem it safe to do so.
You can imagine what the reply was off the guy running the course.
Although I spent 4 hours in a room with 25 other people I found it informative.
So what's your replies to the question ?

Was also told that the 10% rule on speed limits has been axed. Is that true ?

There was never a rule. The following is from The ACPO Guidelines (http://www.acpo.police.uk/asp/policies/Data/speed_enforcement_guidelines_web_v7_foi.doc)

The Police Service now uses technology that enables it to prove that an offence has been committed as soon as a driver exceeds the relevant speed limit by a very small margin. Motorists will therefore be at risk of prosecution immediately they exceed any legal speed limit.

The guidance to police officers is that it is anticipated that, other than in the most exceptional circumstances, the issue of fixed penalty notices and summonses is likely to be the minimum appropriate enforcement action as soon as the following speeds have been reached:

Limit.........Fixed Penalty...........Summons
20 mph..........25 mph................35 mph
30 mph..........35 mph................50 mph
40 mph..........46 mph................66 mph
50 mph..........57 mph................76 mph
60 mph..........68 mph................86 mph
70 mph..........79 mph................96 mph

Fixed penalty of 1. £60 (pending) 2. Licence endorsed with 3 penalty points

Summons leading to Magisterial discretion (level 2) maximum of:
1. £1000 fine
2. Licence endorsed - range of penalty points available
3. Disqualification
4. Compulsory re-testing

This guidance does not and cannot replace the police officer's discretion and they may decide to issue a summons or a fixed penalty notice in respect of offences committed at speeds lower than those set out in the table. Moreover, in particular circumstances, driving at speeds lower than the legal limit may result in prosecution for other offences, for example dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention when the speed is inappropriate and inherently unsafe.

I would be very surprised if the police are going to start nicking at 31 as the courts couldn't cope.

Speedos tend to under read by 10% or so and this is probably where the idea of 10% leeway comes from. My Speedo is actually quite accurate so I need to be very careful.

Speedos tend to under read by 10% or so and this is probably where the idea of 10% leeway comes from. My Speedo is actually quite accurate so I need to be very careful.

I am under the impression that they actually read fast. If they read slow you would have a good case in court. By reading fast that defence dissappears.

In Wales I've heard of people being done for 32 in a 30 zone! They are zero tolerance out there which is a little unfair.

In Wales I've heard of people being done for 32 in a 30 zone! They are zero tolerance out there which is a little unfair.

Ah, but who claimed they were only doing 32? The driver? I would take such claims with a large pinch of salt unless the summons is produced to prove it :)

As regards unfairness, why? 30 is the limit.

Most...I think All of the accidents that have occured within my family have not been due to exess speed. We all speed & I mean Speed, not just going over the legal limit.

That having been said, prehaps the legal speed limits should be turned into 'speed guide lines':blink1:

Some speed limits (60 on wide open roads) for instance is unnecessarily slow & some I think are too fast for given areas, even 20 in some situations. On an isolated road where there is zero traffic & 100% visability, 141 may not be too fast for the circomstancies.

So my proposal is this:

1 Speed limits become 'speed guidelines'.

2 It is each drivers responsability to drive at an appropriate speed for the circumstances.

3 Police officers can stop anybody for any speed that is obviously dangerous. (Instead of 'sodding about' with radar guns & the like.)

Speed 'limits' are rigid & reality is variable!

I drive fast most of the time but I'm always the slowest person on the road going through built up areas, during events, ect.

As a general rule: never get out of 3rd in town.

I think most people are responsable enough to not do anything Too daft.

My god! This thread has become a rant:blink:

Most...I think All of the accidents that have occured within my family have not been due to exess speed. We all speed & I mean Speed, not just going over the legal limit.

That having been said, prehaps the legal speed limits should be turned into 'speed guide lines':blink1:

Some speed limits (60 on wide open roads) for instance is unnecessarily slow & some I think are too fast for given areas, even 20 in some situations. On an isolated road where there is zero traffic & 100% visability, 141 may not be too fast for the circomstancies.

So my proposal is this:

2 It is each drivers responsability to drive at an appropriate speed for the circumstances.

3 Police officers can stop anybody for any speed that is obviously dangerous. (Instead of 'sodding about' with radar guns & the like.)

I drive fast most of the time but I'm always the slowest person on the road going through built up areas, during events, ect.

Thats not a bad idea!

I also think that anyone who takes an advanced driving course should be allowed a different set of limits. I mean, if you can handle the car...why not use it for what it was made? I have a blue light license...so I have already done a high speed course...but not allowed in everyday driving. Even if it was to simply put boy racers in there 1.2l corsa's with halfords bought exhausts a thrashing :)

Haha well it's not me! Had to do a course when I was training to be a paramedic in Coventry, but gave that idea up to start my business.

I'm sure people will disagree, but in all honesty I think if the laws were relaxed, people wouldn't speed as much. It isn't as fun if it's legal.

Along the same lines as drinking or smoking before 18. Fun because it was 'naughty' but not as exciting when you lose the thrill of being caught when it's legal.

That's a ridiculous idea.

So my proposal is this:

What so does that mean racing drivers should be allowed to race everywhere they go on public roads?
And why just because you've been on a skid pan should you be able to drive faster than the rest of us?
Ambulance drivers shouldn't break the speed limit anyway. Even with the blues on.

I also think that anyone who takes an advanced driving course should be allowed a different set of limits. I mean, if you can handle the car...why not use it for what it was made? I have a blue light license...so I have already done a high speed course...but not allowed in everyday driving. Even if it was to simply put boy racers in there 1.2l corsa's with halfords bought exhausts a thrashing :)

I didn't mean to necessarily speed everywhere. Driving an ambulance you do have to above the legal speed limit, but it's about control of the vehicle, not necessarily speed.

I think that if you are competent enough, why stick to speed limits that are sometimes dangerous? The roads out this way are sometimes 60mph and they are lethal! Roads most people take at 40mph max! Yet under common law, going 20mph under the speed limit will get you pulled over. I meant I agreed with guidelines, but it works both ways!

You wont get pulled for doing 20 mph less.
You'd get pulled if your dangerously slow.
And Ambulances only have the right to break the limit in certain circumstances not everytime they have the blues on.

Ambulance drivers shouldn't break the speed limit anyway. Even with the blues on.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I totally disagree with that statement Turbonutter!!

Have you ever had a friend or family member in need of a paramedic quick?

Or been trapped under a car that's sinking into wet mud?

In my opinion ambulances should have 500BHP engines & Bull bars!

I never said anything about any opinion I had.
I said they can only break the limit in certain conditions.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I totally disagree with that statement Turbonutter!!

Have you ever had a friend or family member in need of a paramedic quick?

Or been trapped under a car that's sinking into wet mud?

In my opinion ambulances should have 500BHP engines & Bull bars!