Whats the worst accident you've seen?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Rather than a voyeristic excercise we should approach this one with a view to improve safety on our roads and learn by the mistakes of others.

Whats the worst accident you've seen? I saw a pile up in fog of about 25 cars - all badly crumpled and all because they were driving too fast for the conditions.

I've also seen a Capri lose control and spin off the road - they were notorious for doing this though!

i've not seen anyone having a crash but have been there just after, been in a few myself one was funny, didnt actually crash but spun out an did a 180 at 70 coming off a rounderbout, i cant really say which was the worst out of the two cos they were too different, one was cos my mate in a 306tdi floored it round a corner 2 days after buying it after saying "look at this it's like its on rails " lol, then he understeer'd, went to go up an embankment but let off the gas, an then CLUCHED IT mid corner:amazed:, the back end flicked round, then flicked back we hit the bank and flipped onto the side an slid down the road for about 50 yards :/. i ...stupidly didnt have my seat belt on an got flung around inside the car (was in the back) and got hit in the head by a laptop that was in the back. the other was doing near to 100 in a mk3 1.5d astra on the motorway coming back from canebury to sittingbourne, my mate went to take the turn off to the services to get some water for washer jets, but intead of going to the services he took the turn off to chartham hatch and ended up hitting an island at about 85, the front tires blew up the instant we hit it an ended up in the barrier about 10 yards away from a house :/ going from like 80 to nothing in an instant, lucky not to get wiplash or anyother injurys. you might know where i mean waynne as your from kent. the chartham hatch turn off now has its own sign as while we were there at least 4 or 5 other cars nearly did the same thing, and a lorry. scary

i've not seen anyone having a crash but have been there just after, been in a few myself one was funny, didnt actually crash but spun out an did a 180 at 70 coming off a rounderbout, i cant really say which was the worst out of the two cos they were too different, one was cos my mate in a 306tdi floored it round a corner 2 days after buying it after saying "look at this it's like its on rails " lol, then he understeer'd, went to go up an embankment but let off the gas, an then CLUCHED IT mid corner:amazed:, the back end flicked round, then flicked back we hit the bank and flipped onto the side an slid down the road for about 50 yards :/. i ...stupidly didnt have my seat belt on an got flung around inside the car (was in the back) and got hit in the head by a laptop that was in the back. the other was doing near to 100 in a mk3 1.5d astra on the motorway coming back from canebury to sittingbourne, my mate went to take the turn off to the services to get some water for washer jets, but intead of going to the services he took the turn off to chartham hatch and ended up hitting an island at about 85, the front tires blew up the instant we hit it an ended up in the barrier about 10 yards away from a house :/ going from like 80 to nothing in an instant, lucky not to get wiplash or anyother injurys. you might know where i mean waynne as your from kent. the chartham hatch turn off now has its own sign as while we were there at least 4 or 5 other cars nearly did the same thing, and a lorry. scary

Well you know, that would happen if you hit a roundabout at 70 mate ;)

Ive been on the road a lot since I passed my test in October 2006 and I've clocked up roughly 45,000-50,000 miles since then. But I haven't really seen that many accidents that catch my eye, Ive seen a few people on the motorway crash into a barrier at a junction exit, I'm not sure what goes through their head? I think their going down the lane at about 90, realize that their exit is 2 seconds away and attempt a rally style turn but obviously they don't make it, lol.

it was in a mk2 astra 1.4 banger. topped out at 90 an that was coming down the new sheppy bridge if you know what that looks like. quite funny actually cos we were following someone in a saxo vts an my mate thought he could keep up heh

worst ive seen is on the A9 car, couldnt have told you what it was, had had been rolled and was basically in 2 wrapped around a tree. the engine was sitting around 50 yards further up the road this was around 1am. no idea what had happened. dunno if they survived that when we passed the fire engine ambulance and police were still there trying to get the traffic moving again.

i've seen some pretty bad accidents, well not seen but been driving past the aftermath

first was driving down a country road and there was really bad traffic which was unusual for that road until we got further down and the police were flagging us all past this car which was in the middle of the road completely on fire, driving past it you could feel the intensity of the heat

the second was driving up the A1 last august and on the other side of the road there was a 5 mile traffic jam because this lorry had crushed a car inbetween another lorry and totalled about 10 other cars the 2 lorry drivers were being cut out of their cabins by rescue teams as i drove past and the one in front musn't have been wearing his seatbelt as there was a huge smash in the window screen covered in blood, further down the traffic jam another 2 lorrys had crashed into each other aswel!

I'm not sure what goes through their head? I think their going down the lane at about 90, realize that their exit is 2 seconds away and attempt a rally style turn but obviously they don't make it, lol.

I think that all new Vectras and Mondeos are supplied with an additional user manual entitled 'How not to Change Lane until Five Yards before your desired motorway exit.'

Ironically just after this (about 1 hour in fact) I drove past the scene of a fatal crash on the M2. Very nasty - the wreckage was down the road for a mile or so.

My condolnences to the people involved. The police shut the entire road in that direction and setup a screen to prevent on coming motorists from seeing the wreckage. I really would not like to be in the emergency services having this sort of thing to deal with.

I never saw it happen, but drove by a saxo on its roof in the ditch at about 4'o'clock in the morning. We turned around to have a look & there was a guy half out of the windscreen with his legs trapped under the bulkhead. & the car was slowly sinking into the dirt. Apparently he was dodging a deer.

Just goes to show: If your gonna roll your car, you'd better where your seatbelt.

& if you see a deer, run the bugger down & send it to baxters.

it was in a mk2 astra 1.4 banger. topped out at 90 an that was coming down the new sheppy bridge if you know what that looks like. quite funny actually cos we were following someone in a saxo vts an my mate thought he could keep up heh

is a fast bridge
when they put it up it did not have a speed limit for a while cos they did not know how fast to put it

but i have seen a car on its side people just getting out of it
is a cross roads in boxley is a crash there nearly every month

at 8am one morning i saw a car which was about 600mm high and 1m long sandwiched under and between 2 huge trucks, poor guy was going to work, didn't even make the day

i've seen some pretty bad accidents, well not seen but been driving past the aftermath

first was driving down a country road and there was really bad traffic which was unusual for that road until we got further down and the police were flagging us all past this car which was in the middle of the road completely on fire, driving past it you could feel the intensity of the heat

the second was driving up the A1 last august and on the other side of the road there was a 5 mile traffic jam because this lorry had crushed a car inbetween another lorry and totalled about 10 other cars the 2 lorry drivers were being cut out of their cabins by rescue teams as i drove past and the one in front musn't have been wearing his seatbelt as there was a huge smash in the window screen covered in blood, further down the traffic jam another 2 lorrys had crashed into each other aswel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09iYwigkbSs&feature=related this is why

Living in Central America I saw loads often fatal, Some say the mad driving is due to machismo but I just believe stupidity as is often the case here

Living in Central America I saw loads often fatal, Some say the mad driving is due to machismo but I just believe stupidity as is often the case here

its the same in Vietnam. especially small minibuses which over take anywhere regardless of the conditions and if they can see. Worse one i saw was a Mercedes bus with the whole side missing, about 8 dead as it was taken out by a container truck.

Aston, dont you find drivers in the UK are, in general, of quite a high standard compared to a lot of '3rd world' countries?

the worst accident i have ever seen happened a few months ago during the summer of 2010, biker season where i live. coming down a not very steep hill on the way to a roundabout two bikes were overtaking a queue of traffic of which i was part travelling at a steady speed, the lead bike, i say lead because he obviously thought he was in a race or on the isle of man, was going so fast and so close to the cars he was overtaking that one driver ahead of me swerved towards the kerb quite violently as the bike went past. the next thing i saw was quite bizarre, that car must have hit the kerb or something because the it was on two wheels and going over, just as that had happened the second bike was going past said car but ran out of time and space because of oncoming traffic, the car landed on his bike! trapping bike and rider underneath the overturned car. The fire crews, ambulances and police were all called to the scene but they couldn't do anything to save the biker and he unfortunately died at the scene, the driver of the car was understandably shaken and received minor injuries from the incident but otherwise survived ok