Whats The S For???

Marco54

Car
Audi A4 1.8T
After recently purchasing an Audi A4 1.8T 53 plate, I've started to wonder what the S is for on the multitronic gear box. The obvious answer is that its sport mode, my reason for questioning this is that the box is fitted with the tiptronic thingy ma jig! I have been told that its snow mode but cant see that. Unfortunately the car came without the owners manual and after a trip to the local main Audi dealers to find that they are £42 + VAT i've decided against that. Please put me out of my misery and tell me what the S is for!!!

i would have suggested sport - even with the tiptronic it still changes auto for you.
have a look in the manual as it will advise you

originally i thought you mean S4 over the A4

Thats exactly the thing thats missing!! that little book in the glove box aint there and Audi want a wopping £42+vat just for that!!

im back

2 mins turned this up on google
Sports mode - Now for the good stuff: The Audi A4 Tiptronic has a "sports mode" setting that can be engaged with the shift stick. This was not surfaced in the Passat's controls. (Why would you want that in a "family car"? :wink: ) However, someone on this forum previously posted how to engage it with a VAG-COM, at least on certain models of the Tiptronic. I've only tested it on my own (April 2002 build), and it does work. Not sure what other years are applicable. (See below for details on engaging it.)

Once engaged with the VAG-COM, the setting is there to stay, until you hook back up with a VAG-COM and disengage it.

After engaging it and going for a test drive, I noticed a definite and pleasant improvement in shifting behavior. The car would downshift more easily (for instance, accelerating on a freeway entrance ramp), and overall the car was much more enjoyable to drive in a sporting mode.

My gas mileage didn't seem to suffer. (I've got a 1.8t.) When you start driving aggressively, you are already going to do serious damage to your mileage from turbo boost, so earlier shifting doesn't particularly make a big difference from what I saw. Highway driving at a consistent speed still brought in good mileage.

As a sanity check, yesterday I decided to disengage "sports mode", and return to "regular".

Took a test drive and Whoa! What happened to the car I was driving before? I was back to the sluggish response and conservative manners of the stock mode. And it was quite distinct and boring. Back to "sports mode" for me.
found on the passat forums but they and the A4 are very closely related

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back