What's The Oddest Situation You've Driven In

Chris Green

Torque Junkie
Car
SEAT Leon 2.0l TDi
When I worked for BT, I was delivering some technical equipment at Heathrow to one of BA's Technical Blocks. When I enquired how I was supposed to get a hundredweight of gear up to the switchboard, the doorman pointed me to the lift and told me to drive my car into it. It was really weird reversing out into what was ostensibly an office corridor a few floors up and then driving along it.

Also, when driving along the very top of a knife-edged ridge in Tenerife (I seem to recall this was where the observatories were), I noticed that it was a wonderful cloudless day up where I was but that there was 10/10ths cloud cover below me on both sides. As the ridge lowered in altitude I seemed to have dense cloud about 50 feet below me on either side, before the road disappeared into it completely. Fortunately there were no sudden bends after plunging into the fog!

Driving into a lift is awesome! Love to try that myself.

Once driving into Dover there was thick fog. All you could see was the castle, it was like the Castle was resting on the clouds. I really really wish I had a camera.

I've also driven up the cobbled high street at St Ives on a Saturday afternoon!;) (Thanks to my sat nav.:evil:)

Picture010-3.jpg

driving this thing round a field jousting.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

mine is probably having a bit of fun with an ambulance and it going through red lights just to get the better of me :amuse:

I've also driven up the cobbled high street at St Ives on a Saturday afternoon!;) (Thanks to my sat nav.:evil:)

That reminds me - a couple of years back whilst on holiday in Spain, I'd hired a Ford Focus estate. Driving through one sleepy Andalucian town we were diverted around the main square as it was being set up for a fiesta, complete with bandstand.

I followed the 'Desvio' diversion signs religiously until, as usually happens, the trail went cold at a crossroads, leaving me driving along a one-way street down hill.

Unfortunately, the road was also getting narrower by the yard, so much so that when my wife concluded she ought to get out to check the way ahead, I had to stop opposite someone's front door to give the door room to open.

By now I was getting a bit panicky, as the thought of reversing filled me with no pleasure whatsoever. I pressed on with mirrors folded in, and even then tightening the buttocks waiting for the scraping noises (it was a new car).

Suddenly, my wife announced that the way ahead was in fact a staircase downwards. At this point, the hill steepened so I had to take her word for it as all I could see beyond the bonnet was the 1st floor of the buildings ahead

Fortunately, it was the kind with steps every yard or so, not like indoors. I could at least see that the road after that was widening, so I pressed on, bumping down each step as gently as I could.

Not one local batted an eyelid as we emerged at the far side of the square from a road leading from a staircase (and with an unmarked car!).

Minutes later, realising that my knuckles looked 'a bit pale', I found a layby and took a break!