Whats the most un economical vehicle ever?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you reckon is the most un-economical vehicle? Can you beat the one i'm thinking of?

It must be land based with at least 4 wheels so no aircraft. Military vehicles including tanks can be included if you want!

I'm talking Gallons per mile!

I seem to remember some rocket propelled dragster on topgear which they used to destroy caravans.. Did so many gallon per mile..

Can't compare without stats really - didn't think of dragracers.

Here are my stats (0.007 mpg!) can you beat that? Can you work out / guess what mine is?

The old Centurion Tank,
(Mk 12 version, 47 tons, powered by a 1650cid V12 Rover Meteor Mk 4B petrol engine).

was officially rated for 0.5 mpg on the road and 0.2 mpg x-country.
We used to go from one side of Salisbury Plain to the other (~40miles with most of it Artillery Impact Area i.e. full of craters, which made it pretty slow going) and the 220gallon tanks weren't far off empty.
If that wasn't exciting enough, re-fuelling them by hand with 4.5 gallon jerry-cans was even more fun with almost red-hot silencer boxes on each side at the rear right below the filler necks igniting splashed fuel from the tank crew trying to get things done quickly with warm, sometimes overfilled j-cans that when opened blew fuel under pressure out of the top, this was sometimes all done in darkness, which made it even more alarming.

Good waste of fuel though. Every minute was worth a lifetime.

I know if you stick your foot down to the floor in the new hummer you can get it down to 1mpg

They aren't that bad,

There are two of them owned by guys I work with. One is an '03 H2 with an LQ4 6.0 litre V8 and the other is also an H2 '09 model but with the newer L92 Variable Cam 6.2 V8.
They are big ponderous things to drive and certainly thirsty but not to that extent.

I may be wrong Sid, but Iam sure I recall a episode of TopGear whe JC tested it and got it down to 1mpg, I maybe wrong lol

7ony was he not reading that off the instantaneous speed ?
i can get my bora down to 10mpg when i boot it in higher gears , 4th-6th this can be be even lower in 1st and 2nd.

mate had a go in his old bosses pontiac gto (vauxhall manaro over here) which had some "subtle" work done to it. he "claims" the display showed -4mpg

Bugatti Veyron scores just 10mpg on the combined cycle! pretty poor for a car, pretty good considering the power on offer though.