Whats the coolest sound a car can make?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which sound that a car makes do you think is the coolest?

I like the whine of a turbo spooling up - there is something magical about the noise!

What about you? Dump valves, exhaust, Induction roar etc.... What flaots your boat when it comes to car noises?

I quite liked the sound of the Paxman Valenta 12 cyl units that BR used in the power cars of the Intercity 125 units These were on the rails in 1976. The Mirlees engines were better still, with all four turbochargers singing in falsetto harmony at idle.

Peak power was at about 1200rpm.

Skylines seem to be infinitely tuneable. That straight six unit used to power all sorts of off road machinery. Shows how well engineered they are. Four turbos is not uncommon and 1000+ bhp easily achieved.

Skyline's engine is one of the best engines in the world. It can withstand a lot of punishment. I would have liked to put some links with a 1350 bhp skyline, but the web site is dead now :-(

I have some footage of some powerful skylines at full chat - i'll try and get them up on our youtube channel this week. The engines scream as the dump valve cuts in.

The other engine that impressed me in terms of sheer noise was that on an F1 car. I couldn't believe anything could make so much noise.

Definately for me is the sound of a vee engined car with a competition exhaust running a decent induction kit. Open the taps and listen to the throbbing burble.

Theres a few that really do it for me.....
a. A high revving full exhaust'ed turbo followed by external wastegate chatter.... decent BOV...... or a screamer pipe.
b. A supercharged Vee engine
c. The sound my car makes with its oversize induction kit....
d. A large turbo trying to spool up in a high gear at low revs.
e. The sound a lambo gallardo makes when you can hear that 5ltr V10 wake up behind you on a track when you floor it in 2nd at 3000 rpm(possibly best day of my life....)

James.

Last edited:
The Aston Martin V8 - nice find Kai. Sounds fantastic and you can hear the car 2 miles away.

i love the sound of a dump valve when a nice evo or skyline goes by, you get the nice rumble and the dump valve, but i do like the noise the v8s make :D