Whats the best way to ruin an engine

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
Hopefully I've beaten everyone else with this topic. Thanks for the idea which came from BigFatFatty in the best way to run in an engine thread.

What is the best way to totally ruin an engine then?

Looks like a fun job :D

Putting sugar in the petrol tank works too apparantly, but is nowhere near as much fun :lol:

Stick it in 1st gear at 70mph and watch the pistons fly past your nose?

A less risky idea would simply be to drain all the oil and let it idle itself into seizure.

Not servicing it. Running it low on oil. Driving in too low a gear. Choosing the wrong grade of oil and running it flat out for 30 minutes. Letting the coolant levels drop.

Are we talking vandelism here or just everyday neglect?

I guess there's a difference if you do it intentionally and ruining it by accident. I've lost a couple of engines due to old age, broken piston rings but the best one was when a conrod vented the block at speed. That was not planned but during a race it had other ideas! Later found out that even when this particular engine had been run-in it was still too tight on new bearings. That's when we re-built the engines using 100k engines, same shells but new rings, never lost one after that.

Best way to ruin an engine?................... leave said car parked in a dodgy area with keys in the ignition, it'll soon by all over the lanes and left with a blown engine after the chavs have done their stuff.

Give it to my Step Brother! There isn't a car out there that he couldn't ruin! :bigsmile:

Ford Fiesta TD - Drove through a puddle, flooded the airbox, bent the cams and ceased the engine - Dead
Pug 106 - Drove everywhere at 5000rmp - Dead
BMW 318 - Rolled it and hit fence pole, engine split in two - Dead
BMW 320 - Killed the electronics with a bodge job - Dead (fuel into engine problem)
BMW 525 - Just killed this one this month, oil leak + no top up = Dead
Kwak Jet Ski - Ran it too rich - Dead
Suzuki 1200 - Cort fire, melted engine - Dead

BBJ's Top Tips - Dont buy anything off my step bro!! lol :bigsmile:

Give it to my Step Brother! There isn't a car out there that he couldn't ruin! :bigsmile:

Ford Fiesta TD - Drove through a puddle, flooded the airbox, bent the cams and ceased the engine - Dead
Pug 106 - Drove everywhere at 5000rmp - Dead
BMW 318 - Rolled it and hit fence pole, engine split in two - Dead
BMW 320 - Killed the electronics with a bodge job - Dead (fuel into engine problem)
BMW 525 - Just killed this one this month, oil leak + no top up = Dead
Kwak Jet Ski - Ran it too rich - Dead
Suzuki 1200 - Cort fire, melted engine - Dead

BBJ's Top Tips - Dont buy anything off my step bro!! lol :bigsmile:

A good enough excuse to hide your keys or say no, you are not driving it!

Bless him, he likes to do all the work himself, because he did 6 months of a 3 year apprenticeship before dropping out and thinks he is better than all mechanics in the world. That plus he never has any money. Its always going to end wrong isn't it! lol :D

give it to my step brother! There isn't a car out there that he couldn't ruin! :bigsmile:

Ford fiesta td - drove through a puddle, flooded the airbox, bent the cams and ceased the engine - dead
pug 106 - drove everywhere at 5000rmp - dead
bmw 318 - rolled it and hit fence pole, engine split in two - dead
bmw 320 - killed the electronics with a bodge job - dead (fuel into engine problem)
bmw 525 - just killed this one this month, oil leak + no top up = dead
kwak jet ski - ran it too rich - dead
suzuki 1200 - cort fire, melted engine - dead

bbj's top tips - dont buy anything off my step bro!! Lol :bigsmile:

great post

my wife ruined hers when her engine was way overheating. thought she would get home and mention it to me, after 30 minutes of heavy traffic !!
turns out engine fan was not running, cost a whole engine instead.

Well guy's if you want to know how to ruin a engin , transmission ,cars,truck ,bus , machines, come West Africa we have all the expert mecanics ,you have a problem with warning light on the dash no problem cut the wires and do a bridge,transmission service well we forgot to full it up with oil!! engin service same thing dont put any oil in it,brake pads dont changed them keep going until the pads weld to the disq or it worn out a little noise but we still stop.A Dr friend had a problem with his Porche Cayenne it was over heatting and was losing water the mecanic told him " that is normal they come out like that keep putting water in it every morning ,that the way in West Africa ( I do my own work on my Hummers Happy Reading

My brother crashed his car into so many things, including blasting through a hedge at 60mph, onto a field, He actually bent the chassis so much that the car crabbed (drove forward at an angle)

The best way to permanently ruin an engine beyond any chance of repair is to mix a big batch of valve grinding compound with a light weight oil and pour it in the crank case. There will be nothing left but extremely polished parts with incredible clearance. I did it to my ex wife's car 50 years ago for for using her attorney brother to confiscate it. If you think the oil filter will protect it, think again.

What about putting water in with the oil and oil where the water should go! I doubt you'd get many miles out of that one!

Running an engine with the wrong oil and with too little of it is tantamount to vandalism in my opinion.
Fill your engin with a medicinal compound,that guarantee regeneration of all working parts, no need for expensive repair bills, will even fix a clacked, warped cylinder head, for just £20 then then top up the oil with (morrisons own )budget engine oil , fit the super chip recently acquired on ebay for £25, turn on the N.O.S .. and bobs your uncle. Its all banggood.

:rofl: Did you know there's a steel seal potion engine, and it guarantees to fully referbish your engine by coating it with a thin layer of criptonite !!!! So if your motor has say 150,000 miles on it, this will potentially rebuild your engine and it will perform as new. Is this the same stuff that herbie used back in the 70's. And is it the same stuff that ran tthrough the veins of knight rider ? (8}) what do you think. Should i top up my motor \B ?-/o_O:lol: lol.

Wow - just spotted that over 33,000 people have read this thread so far! What does that say about the devious people out there! ;)

downshift from 6e gear to first, at the garage i work a customer's son shifted back "too far" and dumped the clutch. results: one flying rod and a hole as big as an orange in the side of the engine.|B

I know someone with a GT Cortina who dropped into second gear at around 70 mph and popped the clutch out and all he did was shear all the flywheel bolts. Well, a little bit more than that - when the bolts sheared the flywheel jumped and cracked the gearbox bell housing but absolutely no damage to pistons, valves or any other internal parts.

I know someone with a GT Cortina who dropped into second gear at around 70 mph and popped the clutch out and all he did was shear all the flywheel bolts. Well, a little bit more than that - when the bolts sheared the flywheel jumped and cracked the gearbox bell housing but absolutely no damage to pistons, valves or any other internal parts.
That was a lucky escape!

Hopefully I've beaten everyone else with this topic. Thanks for the idea which came from BigFatFatty in the best way to run in an engine thread.

What is the best way to totally ruin an engine then?
I had an ex put spray foam in my gas tank destroyed the entire engine and expanded into the whole system...so maybe that is one way to do it.. not sure if that's the advice you were looking for