What's the best way to adjust the pcd on a steel rim

hough

Road Burner
Car
VW T5 swb 2.5tdi
Hey brought some steel rims on ebay and the pcd was incorrect as I needed 5 x 4.75 and got 5 x 5 so instead of sending them back what would be the best option redrilling them to the correct pattern or could I lengthen the lugs so that they are oval shaped?

I hope this makes sense lol

Hmmm, how can I put this.......Are you mad?!! :)

Send them back and and get a set with the correct PCD.

I assume that the lug holes are tapered? How will you recreate this in new or elongated holes?

If you have fallen in love with them, get an adapter type spacer with the correct PCD for these wheels if they are available.

Please don't try drilling the holes if you value your car and life more that the cost of a new set of wheels.

Elongating the holes doesn't seem to be sound engineering practice considering the stresses/loads involved that will be placed on the wheels and their fixing to the hubs and wondered if the relevant road safety/transport engineers would approve of this modification ???

Surely elongating the holes is ok on steel rims as I seen companies selling rims passed and present with elongated holes ie pcd 5 x 4.75 to 5.00

Again, how are you going to reform the hole tapers?

Only approx 2/3 to 3/4 of the bolt head circumference will be in contact with the wheel!

Just because someone sells something doesn't make it safe to use.

Why not simply send them back and get proper ones?

They are aluminium wheels with a flat mating surface, I am guessing that your steel wheels have a tapered or raised hole? Post a photo.

STL01234U.jpg

You still haven't explained why you don't want to send them back and get the correct PCD wheels?

Hey brought some steel rims on ebay and the pcd was incorrect as I needed 5 x 4.75 and got 5 x 5 so instead of sending them back what would be the best option redrilling them to the correct pattern or could I lengthen the lugs so that they are oval shaped?

I hope this makes sense lol

Are your rims hub centric or bolt centric?

Experienced people have been giving you the right advise which you appear to be ignoring so just send the dam things back OR sell them on ebay and get the correct wheels .V(

I simply can't understand why anyone with an ounce of sense would do something dodgy like what you are suggesting /contemplating \B

Drilling new holes into things can be a great way of getting out of a sticky situation.

However, the stresses that a wheel goes through just in driving and cornering it is dangerous to remove material from the wheel itself.

The side forces of the motion of turning can bend or snap the wheel whilst you are driving (wit extra holes drilled).

By elongating the holes you have the possibility of the wheel being allowed to turn on the hub during acceleration or braking and will put the studs under a massive amount of stress which will shear the studs.

This may happen on the first drive or the drive one hundred but it will happen.

Please send them back and get the correct ones if not for your sake think about who else could get hurt in the event or a failure.

Surely elongating the holes is ok on steel rims as I seen companies selling rims passed and present with elongated holes ie pcd 5 x 4.75 to 5.00

to answer your qustion about elongated hole in spacers being alright.

THEY ARE NOT in the way you mean

When the hole are elongated pointing at the cetre it allows one bolt pattern (in the wheel you linked - 4 ) but different pcds . Each pcd will fit the holes but not move as one pair of slots are at 90 degress to the other pair, This locks the wheel.

In the othe scenario slots are cut going around the wheel but only some of the holes are elongated and this allows the spacer to fit the both 4 and 5 bolt patterns and different pcds.

BUT MOST IMORTANTLY.......

When the spacer is put on the hub there is NO ROTATIONAL MOVEMENT AT ALL - THEY ALL FIT TIGHT

They would have to be HUB CENTRIC and the slots have been formed with the raised lip for the lug nuts to seat properly but not for the full 360 degrees.

You can buy alloy wheels that are multi fit with the holes drilled to suit different PCD's

Actually I know people that have used wobbly bolts with no adverse affects. Granted they where used on "Stance" cars and not big power motors. I wouldn't use them myself but I have heard a few that have.