What's the best solution

pae

Wrench Pro
OK, here's a funny question. Using a 106 in an MSA championship means keeping to a 1400cc capacity limit. There are 3 ways of doing that.

1] 1.4 n/a petrol (can be tuned to any limit, it's only capacity that counts)
2] 1.0 turbo petrol
3] 2.0 turbo diesel.

I'm not looking for the 'easy' option, as I want a project that's a bit different, so I'm not really into building up a race 1400. Which turbo route would make most sense for a 106 Sprint car? Was going with a 1.0litre petrol turbo, but thinking I would get more useable power from a 1.9 or 2.0 TD. Yes, I suppose a lot heavier (how much?).

What do you all think?

Phil

i;m bit sure the 2.0 TD would be quite right for a sprint race. Perhaps the 1.0 turbo is the better choice - they are pretty solid blocks. Have you got bhp figures for the race spec 1.0 Turbo and 2.0TD?

This topic has me a bit confused! Why would you want to choose a Diesel over a petrol engine, espcially if there is a 1400cc limit?

Can you explain a bit more about what is allowed and what isn't?

Also, what engine do you use currently? Is it a TU 1.4?

Would you be allowed to use a 1.0 Motorbike engine and add a turbo to this! That would really rock.

Freddie said:
This topic has me a bit confused! Why would you want to choose a Diesel over a petrol engine, espcially if there is a 1400cc limit?

Can you explain a bit more about what is allowed and what isn't?

Also, what engine do you use currently? Is it a TU 1.4?

The regs state 1400cc, but there are adjustments made for diesels and turbocharging (or supercharging).

1] Any forced induction car has its capacity multiplied by 1.4, so to keep in the 1400cc class you can't have anything bigger than a 1000cc petrol turbo (1000 x 1.4 = 1400 :lol: )

2] A diesel has it's capacity multiplied by 0.5, so a 2litre diesel will be classed the same as a 1.0litre petrol, hence 2.0DT = 2000 x 0.5 (cos it's diesel) x 1.4 (cos it's turbo) = 1400cc. Does that make sense?

So, it can be 1.0turbo petrol, 1.4 petrol, or 2.0TD...... is a 2.0TD better than a 1.0turbo petrol?

And yes, the engine could be a bike engine. The regs only concern themselves with body shape, wheels and capacity. Nothing says it has to be based on the stock engine.

Phil

From Yamaha's press information

2004 Yamaha YZF-R1 Engine Details

Completely redesigned short-stroke 998cc, DOHC, 20-valve, liquid-cooled, inline 4-cylinder engine now produces 180 horsepower at an amazing 12,500 rpm (with Ram-Air).
All-new, 27mm narrower fuel injection system uses motor-driven secondary throttle valves and 32-bit ECU for super-responsive, instantaneous power delivery.

180bhp from a 1.0 engine is pretty good. Adding a turbo would make this absolutely insane!!! Bear in mind the R1 engine is extremely light.

Another option a 1400cc rover engine with the 1800 VVC head transplanted. The VVC head is very tunable and will give monster NASP power.

What we really need is a calculator to take the weight and power of the car into account and generate a 1/4 mile time. I'll see what I can rustle up! :twisted:

eng2.jpg