Torque Cars

What's the best advice for a new enthusiast

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by obi_waynne, 16 February 2019.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    What's the best advice you could give for a new enthusiast just starting out in car modification and tuning?

Mine is plan the whole project and don't buy things on impulse without researching it first.

2. Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney The Torque Meister

Poole, UK
    Car:
    '98 JDM Impreza STI
    Talk to people who have done it (whatever it is) before. Benefit from others experience.
    Talk to different mechanics and make sure you are convinced they know what they are doing, if you are getting another party to do the actual work.

3. Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney The Torque Meister

Poole, UK
    Car:
    '98 JDM Impreza STI
    For example, when I first got a Scooby I took it to a garage that had an ok rep for a look over and service.
    The guy came out, lifted the bonnet and said, "So..... Where's the spark plugs in this engine?"
    I thanked him for his time and left immediately.
    Asked around online and ended up with a trusted Scooby garage who do all my work now.

TCJBOLDIE likes this.
  4. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.

Hahahaha That's Classic. :rofl:

You should of shown him and then charged him for your time. :lol:

TCJBOLDIE likes this.
  5. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Plan exactly what you want to do and make a list then add up the costs then add a minimum of 50% more to cover the inevitable cost blow outs.

TIP a so called "estimate " is really a guestimate and not binding at law.

A quote is binding when accepted BUT make sure it is IN WRITING detailing/itemizing what exactly will be carried out for the sum quoted AND that no additional costs will be incurred without your written approval BEFORE they are done.

For example you may have signed off on for say new rings and bearings and when the motor was dismantled they found broken ring lands then the shop should immediately advise you of this and the extra costs to supply new pistons with your approval given.Where possible go to the shop to see for yourself.

There is nothing worse than arriving to collect your car than to be hit with additional charges over and above what was "estimated/guesstimated":eek:

Remember believe everyone and trust no one and get it in writing because that's what is needed when things go wrong.

Last edited: 18 February 2019
  6. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Some great advice there chaps.

7. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    It comes from my first hand experiences over many years.