What's the appeal of diesel?

I looked on celtic for the remapped power output of a BMW 335d and it was just monstrous,

345 hp.....it is a lot but not mega by todays standards, but..................................but.....................this is where the lunacy starts it has........... 511 lbft torque?!?!?!

thats enough to up root my house!!!!

and considering they can only get 360 hp out of the 335i, out of the 2 I'd take the diesel every time.....

So would I, without hesitation.

much depends on the type of car and the type of journeys its going to be used for.... e.g. a 2 seater convertible vs an estate car or city car vs long distance cruises.

Personally, I think there isnt much difference and I would rather have a petrol myself - although some diesels are very sporty and torquey!

I have never driven a diesel of any description :embarrest: Will have to seek a suitable one out for a little test drive and see what the fuss is all about ;)

i dont see the problem, im in the car im not hearing the rumbling and seeing the black smoke :embarrest:

that is the attitude too have lol. im ok, everyone else can shove it lol. its the only way to be nowadays as everyone else is out for themselves and will run you over trying to get it. :blink1:

My car was a 2001/2002 model and the DPF was standard on the 2.2 HDi only. It was actually the first car to be thus equipped. You can't easily retrofit a DPF system.

Strangely the earlier DPFs like mine were more reliable than the later ones. They used a fuel borne catalyst and employed active regeneration to avoid blocking

all diesels from 2004 (? need to double check that) need to have one, they dont make them completely smoke free but trap alot of it. think a cat for the smoke.

if youve not got one fitted dont bother like cats they remove performance and can give more trouble than they are worth

I've always been and advocate of powerful diesels and still am but I have to say I heard one in a new audi tt the other day and it just seemed wrong. That said the vag tinny 4pot 1.8 petrol never sounded that good either. V6 ftw.

I tried it in the Seat with its ancient 1.9D VW engine. Ratio about 1:100 - ie 1/2 litre of two stroke to a tank of diesel and it did completely eradicate the little bit of smoke it put out when thrashed.

Thrashing it wasn't difficult, however - an engine with about 70-75bhp is hardly effortless and needed to be driven with 'intent' to get it to offer something resembling half reasonable day to day performance.

Gotta be honest now the more I drive the FRS the more I hate the derv Fiesta!

Totally understandable. I still like derv as a fuel for heavyweight road cars as it suits my driving style and neither of us can dispute the in gear muscle they offer.

Yet I have chosen to revert to petrol, for now, on the grounds of simplicity and relatively cheap servicing costs.