What's reasonable mileage rate to charge

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
If you were giving someone a lift to say an airport and they really wanted to pay you, what would be a reasonable mileage charge to make?

Would it just be to cover fuel, or would you take into account wear and tear on the car?

What is the official rate you can claim for mileage? It used to be around 40p per mile didn't it?

A friend/relative - No charge or, at most, actual fuel used.
Anyone else, slightly less than going rate charged by taxi companies.

My parents or the in-laws no charge!
Friends or family would get the are you honestly asking me or joking question. And if they we're honestly asking me the reply would be stop being so tight and either Park up at the airport or get a taxi!

I think the HMRC do 45 pence/mile now, so for me it would be free to family, a nominal rate for friends i.e. fuel used or a good brandy ;)

Most. of my friends will generally put a few pounds in my ash tray when I drive them. I never ask it doesn't feel right.

For clients though I charge an hourly rate when I'm driving. The 45p doesn't cover my time lost in the car unless I drive fast!

To be fair though, I always offer to pay for a lift. Last time I gave £40 for about 50miles. Only ever offer once though.

People give me what they want, I don't ask. Some offer £20 for a trip, a motorway run to the airport generally gets me £50 but it's not profit, my time is far more valuable than that so I'm literally doing people a favour so why ask them for money.

For work though it's different altogether, I will charge my hourly rate, or 50p per mile whichever works out greater.

People give me what they want, I don't ask. Some offer £20 for a trip, a motorway run to the airport generally gets me £50 but it's not profit, my time is far more valuable than that so I'm literally doing people a favour so why ask them for money.

For work though it's different altogether, I will charge my hourly rate, or 50p per mile whichever works out greater.
I definitely would charge for work purposes, but if you profit you may invailidate your insurance which often prohibits the carrying of passengers or goods for reward.

Whatever the tax office sets is usually acceptable, as it covers wear and tear and fuel.