What's on TCJB's 2020 bucket list ?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
It is the Gold Rush hill climb at Mt Morgan where gold was mined in the early days and it is a relatively new event with it being held for the 3rd time in 2020.

I tried to enter this year but was too late as it had a full field within a couple of days of entries opening.

A mate has sent me the EOI paperwork and have sent my application away last night.

If I am accepted then I will have a 650 klm 8-10 hour each way drive towing my red FN2 there and back including pit stops along the way / coffee and meal breaks for the 2 day event.

The course is a couple of klm's long with some 24 corners and a 160 metre height difference from the start to finish on closed public roads.

If I am accepted I may try to convince my wife to come and incorporate the event into a touring holiday as I have a friend who lives close to the event and may be able to park the Honda and trailer at their property while we continue touring and collect them on the way back.

Last edited:
Sent my EOI off as soon as entries opened and they close at the end of February and they have more replies than the 150 they need so will have to wait to find out if I make the cut.

My local track is an app 50 minute drive away and it is flat and a power track there is another one a bit over an hour away that is more a handling track with some difference in elevation and have entered events there many years ago.

Had a great time burning app 3/4 of a tank of 98 Had to top up at the first servo so I could make it home and am still :Ding |B

FYI the total cost for the 1/2 day was $190.00 Aud not including tyre wear.

Do you replace brakes and oil after a track day as well? I was under the impression that it's a good idea, though I know not where I heard that.

The oil in the engine has been run ragged, the brakes pushed to the limit. Makes sense to me to make sure they are still able to do the job.

Lunchy I use a top quality Penrite 100% synthetic oil and will be changing it yearly as it is not a DD car and will have done less that 2000klm's which include it's weekly drive of 20-100k's as well as track days.

The brake pads are inspected every time I change the track day wheels and tyres back to the road wheels and tyres after an event.
The front pads have a central grove and are replaced when they get worn down to it before the next event. The pads lasted a full year before they were replaced.

It is the Gold Rush hill climb at Mt Morgan where gold was mined in the early days and it is a relatively new event with it being held for the 3rd time in 2020.

I tried to enter this year but was too late as it had a full field within a couple of days of entries opening.

A mate has sent me the EOI paperwork and have sent my application away last night.

If I am accepted then I will have a 650 klm 8-10 hour each way drive towing my red FN2 there and back including pit stops along the way / coffee and meal breaks for the 2 day event.

The course is a couple of klm's long with some 24 corners and a 160 metre height difference from the start to finish on closed public roads.

If I am accepted I may try to convince my wife to come and incorporate the event into a touring holiday as I have a friend who lives close to the event and may be able to park the Honda and trailer at their property while we continue touring and collect them on the way back.
Not at all envious...... When I can afford that Fabia R5 I'm hankering for...

Fabs I have been notified that I was selected from the almost double the max field of entries allowed for the event that I was accepted for the 2020 event that was called off due to Covid 19 asking if I still wished to compete this year and have already answered yes.

So hopefully another bucket list wish will be fulfilled later in 2021 :D

Just had Tegiwa rigid collars installed to the front X member as am told that they prevent any movement between it and the body or chassis when being driven hard and had the alignment settings reset with a bit of front toe that will help the car rotate or turn in better so looking forward to seeing how things go on the first track day of the year on March 4
Front toe out will increase tyre wear but the Honda is not my daily car and it will be a small price to pay especially if it helps reduce lap times.

I have been watching a British police TV programme and it is on the M1 that stretches from London to Edinborough and discovered that the distance between them is a bit shorter than my drive to the Gold Rush Hill Sprint.

Last edited:
I have been watching a British police TV programme and it is on the M1 that stretches from London to Edinborough and discovered that the distance between them is a bit shorter than my drive to the Gold Rush Hill Sprint.
Yeah but the M1 is one bitch of a drive, hosting some 300,000 vehicles per day with an average vehicle speed of just over 47 miles (80kmph) per hour, despite a 70 miles (110 kmph) per hour speed limit . And it is getting worse.

Unfortunately I will have to withdraw from the event as my 6 monthly body check for skin cancers has encountered a rare type of melanoma that took longer than usual to identify and it needs removing ASAP as the Dr said it shouldn't be delayed even for 4 weeks so I could have driven in this long awaited 3klm closed road hill sprint.

It is near my ankle and so much needs cutting out to ensure complete removal that it requires a skin graft.

Am at home now for 5 days and scooting around on my gaming chair and am able to stand and place a little weight on my foot and hop about a bit and off to see my plastic surgeon tomorrow to hear the results of the pathology testing .

Jeez that's a bit of a shock mate... Took me back a bit for sure, and really sorry to hear this news. Which side? Keep us in the loop as to what the surgeon has to say.... Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

The site where it was is a low blood flow region hence the longer than usual recovery period of 6 weeks.

Unfortunately the bandages went from my toes almost to my knee but my foot was bound so tight the pain from it was so excruciating that I felt no pain from the operation area until I cut away some if the binding on my foot to relieve pressure . Foot is still swollen but bearable .

Hoping for good news today despite another snap Covid lockdown.

Getting a bit pee'd off by all the fear mongering power drunk polies and their advisors that quote infection numbers despite there being none in IC or hospital as the infections are mild.

G'day mate, how are you doing? Been thinking about you while I have been away, do you have news for us? Wishing you all the best. Kev.

Well had a Dr's appointment and found out he had buggered off on holidays so that's why I never saw him before I left hospital and won't see him for 3 weeks so the wound was redressed by his nurse and my wife went a bit pale when she saw how deep and big it was. It looks like a mini excavator had dug a hole in my leg above the ankle looks a bit like mince meat.

Have to keep leg elevated as much as possible to improve blood flow and healing as the area has low flow so it is a painful experience every time I have to walk but it passes in a minute or so .

Took the pathologists a bit longer than usual to decide that there were no traces of the cancer in the chunk chopped out which is good news so now I have to have the dressing changed every 2nd day and off to my GP today for his nurse to do it for me,

Also have an 8 inch scar on the inner thigh of the other leg where the full depth shin graft was taken but it is only a minor pain area.

Awww mate, I really feel for you, that's going to take quite a while to heal. Fingers crossed Pathology have it right now and you get straight road to full recovery, I expect you will have some reduced mobility but maybe physio will help in time. Wishing well my friend,.

Fabs thanks for your concern and good wishes |B

Have been told that the leg will never look as it was but seeing it will be a little lighter I will just have to push a bit harder on the pedals. Wife says I have a strange sense of humour at times but I prefer to look on the bright side as much as I can.

Off to my Dr again later this morning for my 2 daily check and dressing change.

I get the sense of humour... Totally. And it helps a great deal to be optimistic and candid.

Let us know how things are tomorrow after the docs. Fingers crossed its healing well. Very best wishes.

I get the sense of humour... Totally. And it helps a great deal to be optimistic and candid.

Let us know how things are tomorrow after the docs. Fingers crossed its healing well. Very best wishes.
I reckon your legs gonna look like a pack of Dingos had a chew on it once it's healed....