What your favourite 'get you home' petrol station snack?

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
For those times when you need a Scooby snack just to get you home what do you go for?

My power snack is a Red Bull & a Pepperami, the meal of kings! Pure filth but I love it! :lol:

I've been buying the RED HOT pepperami. There is also an energy drink with Gurana in it based on fruit juice that is quite nice.

For instant energy you can't beat some dry roasted peanuts though!

I've been buying the RED HOT pepperami. There is also an energy drink with Gurana in it based on fruit juice that is quite nice.

For instant energy you can't beat some dry roasted peanuts though!

Asda are selling 'A Bunch Fives' red hot pepperami for a £1 atm. :amuse:

Didn't know there was a ready to eat version! I do like traditional Haggis !
The last thing on my mind is to get into any sort of argument over haggis, however, I had a lot of Scottish friends who were tea estate managers here in India in the 60's, and I had my first taste of haggis then, I definitely did not like it, if you want details of how it was made here in India- by an old Planter named Reid-,(in the OLD traditional Scottish style, I believe.) you can PM me.
While in Scotland in the 80's, I ate a easy to cook ready made version, that wasn't half bad. as for Iron Bru, well, it's an acquired taste, I could never get used to either its taste or colour!
I hope that these comments are taken in the proper spirit, no offence meant, I have a lot of Haggis eating friends all over the globe, and some of my best friends are Scottish,and nowadays, being older, I exercise utmost care while even mentioning anything about your national dish.

its not hdis national dish its mine lol

didnt realise you can get ready to eat stuff, but for the length of time it takes to cook i cant see the point
try substituting the mince in lasagne with haggis mmmm

its not hdis national dish its mine lol

didnt realise you can get ready to eat stuff, but for the length of time it takes to cook i cant see the point
try substituting the mince in lasagne with haggis mmmm

SOrry PG. Didn't mean to tread on your toes. I do have Scottish ancestors though - only about 50 years or so back. With a name like Anderson that's understandable. Hence my delectation for fine whisky.

As for haggis to replace beef mince I'll give that a go. Hadn't thought of that one.

It does take bloody ages to steam a haggis, I agree. Have you ever tried the microwave method?

It's bloody dangerous if you don't take a few precautions! Puncture it first. And secondly, get those steel staples that seal the thing out of the mix. (the McSween's ones we get down here all have them).

Sorry PG and HDi, but the haggis that was made here by the Scottish planters I knew, seem to be entirely different from what you guys eat, As soon as I dig into some old files of mine and find the recipe, I will sent it on to PG

indiaman: "Sorry PG and HDi, but the haggis that was made here by the Scottish planters I knew, seem to be entirely different from what you guys eat, As soon as I dig into some old files of mine and find the recipe, I will sent it on to PG

Don't apologise - this Torque Cars forum is one of the best on the 'net for getting completely away from the subject in hand. I love it for that reason alone.

In Scotland I believe it's basically a sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs) ground up along with seasoning (quite heavy on the salt) and a good dose of grain (rye or pearl barley, for example).

There will be millions of variations I'm sure. Some use pork offal and fat in addition.

PG - what's the definitve haggis?

And, indiaman - what colonial (or true asian) variants you've encountered?

There could be a bit of fusion cookery goin' on here.

in what way ? you mean the stuff you get down the butchers or the stuff in shops

think your right with the ingredients although i thought oats were used again it depends on what butcher.
yeah the wifes microwaved it before, but generally the best way is on a george forman grill. round bout 7 mins is enough for the slices ;)

in what way ? you mean the stuff you get down the butchers or the stuff in shops

think your right with the ingredients although i thought oats were used again it depends on what butcher.
yeah the wifes microwaved it before, but generally the best way is on a george forman grill. round bout 7 mins is enough for the slices ;)

Butchers down here don't make their own. Oats does sound correct - thanks for that.

I only generally buy 'em around Rabbie Burns' time in January. They're bundled up in pig gut (like wide diameter sausage skins).

Can I get the slices around here perhaps? Best I have a look around.

Haggis - not to my tastes but the wife, who is Vietnamese, loves this and Irn Bru (indiaman - if its spelt differently from this its a knock off, only the bright orange original will do). Haggis, made with oats, black pepper, sheep organs and stuffed in a sheeps stomach. would rather just the neeps and tatties,

And, indiaman - what colonial (or true asian) variants you've encountered?

There could be a bit of fusion cookery goin' on here.[/QUOTE]

I'll make this as brief as possible, In the late 50's I used to work as an apprentice, I and my boss who was a Scot, used to go on Shikar(Hunting) every weekend -hunting wild animals was allowed in those days- not so now.

After, say, shooting a Bison, this guy-an excellent shot, incidentally- would, along with his helpers, and gunbearers, skin the animal and dismember it,then clean out a few of the stomachs of the beast,and put all the internal organs into 3 or 4 of the many stomachs that a bison had , put a large amount of rock salt, some spices such as cardomom, ginger,garlic, cloves,coriander and some allspice leaves along with a large dash of turmeric, and cook the whole mess slowly for a few hours in a pot hung over a large log fire, In the meantime, choice pieces of excellent undercuts, meat from the hump of the Bison, etc would also be roasted over the fire, the stuff in the various stomach was eaten exclusively by my Scottish boss we wouldn't touch it for the scent it gave out! I was always asked the dreaded question"here, have a wee bit of haggis"? and did try it a few times when he had shot smaller animals such as a mountain sheep, or a sambar(Indian antelope) or a spotted deer, but I could never get used to the taste!
As regards Irn Bru, yes I know its spelt that way, but I pronounce it as Iron brew because my boss too pronounced it this way. Bottles of the stuff used to be brought to the estate(sent direct by ship from the brewers, along with a few crates of some obscure single malt, every xmas, every year to the very same planter mentioned above.

Ahh pies! Yep, that'd do the trick for me. Topdeck chocolate I've never encountered. The last time I saw Topdeck as a brand here in the UK was cans of soft drinks - probably about 30 years ago.

You guys don't have Cadbury chocolates? Wow!
I absolutely LOVE their Topdeck one. But then again, I AM a chocoholic : )

We do have Cadburys just not Topdeck, is it the same as a double decker anyone? :D

no, dont think so. dont topdeck's have a liquidy top?

do love double deckers though but have a habit of tearing into them and then spilling chocolate onto myself. do they make ice cream ones now?

Oh I know now! Like a bar of diary milk only with two layers? Yes I remember now! No, as mentioned haven't seen them for many moons now. Maybe they'll be the next bar to make a come back here in blighty! :)

Don't really like Cadbury's chocolate. Double Snickers (which was called Marathon about 30 years ago) is a good carb and sugar hit.

If it's a motorway stop and I'm really starving then the only mass market takeaway (eat in) I will touch is KFC.

I try to avoid stops on long runs. however. I'd rather get home in one hit.