What young drivers dont get

misenthrop

Torque Junkie
Car
Rover Vitesse
You can only answer this thread if you are over 30! If you are under this then there is another thread you can reply to....

Here

What do young drivers (the under 21's) do wrong, what don't they get about driving and what advice would you pass on to a young driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
A sweeping generalisation I know, but most of the answers to these threads will be. Young drivers imo drive too fast, myself included and can be too impatient.

I'm not over 30 but....tough :p

I'm over 40 and to be honest there are plenty of drivers my age and older who are tragically incompetent. Yet they all think they're wonderful and criticise young drivers totally wrongfully.

So in defence of young drivers let's say one thing I DON'T think they get is a fair opportunity to prove themselves worthy against these middle aged bigots I've described above.

I think few young drivers think of the consequences of their actions. Too many push a car too hard, whilst they are inexperienced and early success just adds to their over confidence.

If I passed on one piece of advice it would have to be, "It's the other idiots you should be prepared for. Make sure you can always stop in time and always have an escape route planned."

It's a bit more organic than this really. I'd just suggest to keep on learning.

Try this as an alternative:

Drive so that you can stop in HALF THE DISTANCE you can see to be clear. That way if you meet yourself coming the other way you've got a fair chance of averting disaster.

But this applies to all idiots, young, middle aged or old. I am dead against singling out young drivers as the cause of all ills.

Though I did meet with two young lads today in a 106 who I would happily have removed from the car physically, given half a chance. The driving was appallingly aggressive and moronic. But it's not just the young drivers who are capable of such stupidity.

Okay, I can only say what I used to do and can see what my daughters are doing now, exactly the same! As I did all those years ago, the younger ones have no perception of speed and what can happen if going to fast for certain conditions. It's one big learning curve and we are all part of it.

As already said, older drivers are no different, just treated as senile old gits who shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a car. Both young and old can be tarred with the same brush, just placed in different categories.

What about the fact, that the older old drivers,ie 70+, drove in a time where their were far fewer cars on the road to have to consider, and life did move at a slower pace, also the roads, signs and cars were far less geared towards speed as an essential requirement. I think the first speeding ticket issued was to a motor vehicle doing 4mph... by old bill on his pushbike!!!

If this is true with the olds, then the opposite could be true with our 'yoof'. The whole world is in a rush now days, everything is done at pace, so the theme carries on to driving too.

What about the fact, that the older old drivers,ie 70+, drove in a time where their were far fewer cars on the road to have to consider, and life did move at a slower pace, also the roads, signs and cars were far less geared towards speed as an essential requirement. I think the first speeding ticket issued was to a motor vehicle doing 4mph... by old bill on his pushbike!!!

If this is true with the olds, then the opposite could be true with our 'yoof'. The whole world is in a rush now days, everything is done at pace, so the theme carries on to driving too.

We all do need to slow down with our lives. Stop rushing everything. It's not healthy. Take time to consider other people and their strengths or weaknesses. And our own.

Mankind, although lazy by design and by evolution, is not automatically discompassionate.

We seem to have all forgotten the value of compassion in a world which is driven by greed.

You can only answer this thread if you are over 30! If you are under this then there is another thread you can reply to....

Here

What do young drivers (the under 21's) do wrong, what don't they get about driving and what advice would you pass on to a young driver.

Does anyone actually read the first post? :blink: