The Torque Meister
Car
Nissan Primera S.I.
As titled

'what would your ideal car be'

I've always wanted - since i was a kid:

a Jag XJS

and i'm gonna get one --- eventually :lol:

Always wanted an aston. But if I had to have a car to cover all bases it would be an m5 touring.

I'd go for the M5 Touring as well but for the fact that I don't think it's available with automatic transmission. The 535d, conversely, is not available as a manual as far as I know. BMW needs to address both these issues.

I'd go for the M5 Touring as well but for the fact that I don't think it's available with automatic transmission. The 535d, conversely, is not available as a manual as far as I know. BMW needs to address both these issues.

The newer automatic gearboxes are supposed to be very good. The new 6 has an 8 speed gearbox and a proper manual and the reviews I read pointed towards the auto.

As for my 'ideal' car. I've always wanted a Nissan Skyline R34 GTR, but after converting German with the blue and white roundel, I quite fancy an E92 M3.

"The newer automatic gearboxes are supposed to be very good."

The six speed steptronic in my old E39 is very pleasant in normal use. It even downshifts if you touch the brake pedal and road speed is increasing whilst descending a hill.

Any ideal car for me would have automatic transmission. Looks like the current 535d has EIGHT gears. Maybe that's why it's not available as a manual! Too much like hard work :)

"The newer automatic gearboxes are supposed to be very good."

The six speed steptronic in my old E39 is very pleasant in normal use. It even downshifts if you touch the brake pedal and road speed is increasing whilst descending a hill.

Any ideal car for me would have automatic transmission. Looks like the current 535d has EIGHT gears. Maybe that's why it's not available as a manual! Too much like hard work :)

Technology will get to a point where manual transmission will be too slow. The DSG gearboxes VW use for example can shift much quicker than any person can. The only problem is the weight.

Over anything I would have a Monaro VXR500 (not a VXR8 which is the newer model).

- 6.0 V8 with a supercharged animal.

- 500bhp standard and can now be bought for around £15000-18000, rediculously cheap for the power.

- 0-60 in less than 5 seconds

- 73mph in 1st gear hehe!!!!

- can easily handle over 1000bhp if your pocket is deep enough.

- Twin turbo kit to take it to 700bhp is only £5,999!!!

- Less than 50 made. Some reports state that Vauxhall plan to release 50 but only released 15 but not 100%

- Oh and another thing, and I love this one, You can sit at 70mph in 6th and cruise around doing 1500rpms!!!, thats just above tick over lol.

I dont know of any other car for that money that can offer such huge figures and still give well over 35mpg

But when picking your ideal car, why would MPG be important? :confused:

It doesn't bother be when picking an ideal car.

In this day and age, an ideal car would be something that can fit 4 people and do 70mph. In that case why don't we all go out and buy blue motions?

The government have us all watching the MPG. Its a joke. People should pick cars on beauty and practicality and love. Not on how many miles per gallon the thing can do. We should be arguing with the government about fuel prices, not just accepting it and choosing our cars accordingly.

MPG doesn't bother me mate. I've got an over 300bhp scooby and a Vectra V6 on the drive lol. Just comes as a bonus on the Monaro for the power it has.

Fair one. I don't like to here the words MPG when it comes to ideal cars!! :amuse:
In less your a member of the green party, in which case, I don't care what you think!!! :blink::lol:

I do like the monaro. Nearest rhd equivalent to an american muscle car, cheap(ish) class-less v8 power. Someone on our estate has a vxr8 and it sounds lovely. I would like tp take every chav with a wretched 1.0 corsa with a stupid boomy exhaust and force them to listen to it until they beg forgiveness for producing a pointless drone.

A Subaru Impreza Sti Wrx 98 model. My older brother has one and I have never had such a huge burst of excitement, when that turbo spools and the roar of that boxer engine... :love:

I do like the monaro. Nearest rhd equivalent to an american muscle car, cheap(ish) class-less v8 power. Someone on our estate has a vxr8 and it sounds lovely. I would like tp take every chav with a wretched 1.0 corsa with a stupid boomy exhaust and force them to listen to it until they beg forgiveness for producing a pointless drone.

:lol: I like your style Yugguy

That's hardly an achievement. :) My 528i chews up 1.0 Corsas at the lights with absolute effortless authority. You don't need 500bhp to do that trick.

making a 1000cc corsa look silly is hardly a trick.....

So what car. To me that means any as they came out of the factory

Ill happily admit to being a nissan freak but as you are choosing limited run cars then I cant see anyone choosing a manaro (even a vx500) over an R34 Z tune . Yes it was a limited production car but so was the vx500.

A standard Z tune will be much quicker round any track than any monaro and it beats it for looks by a mile . And the interior makes a monaro like an allegro by comparison

which is why you cant buy one for the same price as 2 or maybe even 3 monaros

I would want a Transformer........ something that changed depending on my mood and circumstance :p

There was nothing to say I could not make one up ;)

Trouble is any one car is a compromise. I'd love an m5 for crossing europe swiftly, but also I'd like a cliosport cup for track days, a range rover for some comfy mud-plugging and an alfa gt v6 because, well because its an alfa.

Dream car? Bugatti Veyron hands down! Fell in love with it a year ago while watching it drag race a McLaren F1 on Top Gear. I researched it and found out what a mechanical masterpiece it is. Worst MPG and I don't even care! I hope to see one in person one day.

Would own one over a Nissan any day of the week. Oh and what does a Nissan cost nowadays, hmmm?? A hell of alot more than you can get a Monaro VXR500, and sorry but I dont agree about the looks. Yes they are nice cars but I love the looks of the 2 door Monaro. I'd sooner stick another 1000bhp under the hood of the monaro for what the price difference is.

I can also show you a vid of a skyline r34 gettin slaughtered round a track by a monaro and also another one beating a lambo murcielago in a drag run.

Last edited:
Would own one over a Nissan any day of the week. Oh and what does a Nissan cost nowadays, hmmm?? A hell of alot more than you can get a Monaro VXR500, and sorry but I dont agree about the looks. Yes they are nice cars but I love the looks of the 2 door Monaro. I'd sooner stick another 1000bhp under the hood of the monaro for what the price difference is.

I can also show you a vid of a skyline r34 gettin slaughtered round a track by a monaro and also another one beating a lambo murcielago in a drag run.

Was that one of them comedy scetches? I can't quite believe a monaro would slaughter a skyline around a track. I certainly would not beat a GTR in a drag race.

Monaro's are nice, but they are not that quick.

They can be. The VXR500 will do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds standard and they weigh 1700kg, so a bit light weight chassis work would be a good start. You'd be looking at some good figures with a twin turbo version.

And BBJ, no it wasn't a comedy sketch. The Monaro sit's up the backside of the skyline round the track, bends and all, then flies past it like it's standing still when it comes round after a bend.

The Lambo one is close but the Monaro just gets it which isn't bad considering the price difference.

They can be. The VXR500 will do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds standard and they weigh 1700kg, so a bit light weight chassis work would be a good start. You'd be looking at some good figures with a twin turbo version.

And BBJ, no it wasn't a comedy sketch. The Monaro sit's up the backside of the skyline round the track, bends and all, then flies past it like it's standing still when it comes round after a bend.

The Lambo one is close but the Monaro just gets it which isn't bad considering the price difference.

Id like to see that. I didn't know they handled that well around the twisty bits. I knew they were fast but I didn't know they were track tidy.

Have to have a look at them. :D

Id like to see that. I didn't know they handled that well around the twisty bits. I knew they were fast but I didn't know they were track tidy.

Have to have a look at them. :D

Hard to say from one video isn't it. If I gave my misses the RS I could still probably beat her round a track in the diseasel Fester.

Oh yeh dont get me wrong, alot of it would be down to the driver. But if you search for any form of the Monaro, either being the american Pontiac GTO, aussy Holden or the UK Monaro and you find some good vids, especially of the supercharged ones.

Possibly you also have a video of a manaro breaking the sound barrier - it
doesnt mean jack
May I humbly suggest that before you post things you should take the time to read and understand what you quote.

I said a z tune would slaughter any stock manaro ( inc the vx500 ) round any track. And it would
And if you had bothered to read that and take the time to find out what a z tune was you wouldnt make a fool out of yourself by suggesting otherwise.

Now I agree that the manaro is a fine car but if they were something really special you would not be able to buy one for £20K
And remember this is a thread entitled Your best car not your best car under £20k

By the way fastest manaro ever round the ring is 8.35

A stock 33GTR went round in just under 8 minutes

A factory Z tune only has an extra 200 bhp (ish) , a race chassis and does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds in stock trim out the factory. So I guess it might be a bit quicker.

Last edited: