What was the best decade for cars?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Of all the decades which one do you think was the best for cars? Obviously modern cars are faster and better than older ones so we have to approach this fairly. Ignore power and handling and concentrate on the styling and innovation of its time?

The current decade is certainly an interesting one with the Reventon, Murchialago, R8, Veyron, DB9 etc... However I would say most of these are an innovation. I would be suprised if we continue to see cars like the Veyron built as the "greenies" would strongly object.

I've posted elsewhere that the 80's were my favourite era for cars. The introduction of the Hot Hatch really IMHO started the current tuning and power craze. Cars stopped being practical and started to be fun.

Of course I can't discount the 68 Shelby and the early muscle cars. So its time to throw it open.

Which era for cars is the best and why?

boringly same as you, 80's - turbo charged F1 cars - THE Audi Quattro kicking ass in the rallying (and the sound that thing made was incredible) Ferrari F40 was iconic, Lambourghini Countach, and of course Miami Vice white Testarossa! :lol::lol:

Late 90s...Some of the best Japanese cars were created! The Skyline revolution, with the R34 coming in 1999. The Supra's year is also supposed to be 1999 (not for birth, for the best model). The Civic was also made into a sporty young people's car the could easily be tuned!

Probably the 1990's from a boring POV. Reliability imrpoved massively, as did emissions controls and safety. We started to see PAS and ABS and airbags on all new cars towards the end of the 1990s. Warranties got longer.

And some really OTT performance models started to leak over here from Japan. Skyline and Impreza come to mind.

Sadly, the decade also saw the introduction of speed cameras. And some berk thought to make diesels a common sight on the road.

Thats when disels stopped being smell and unrefined and started to outperform their petrol cousins. ;)

deisel cars still stink and are unbearably noisy to me. best period of cars was the 1990's. the mazda rx-7, honda civic, nissan skyline, toyota supra and the nissan silvia's, all of these cars make drifting what it is today, and they all look so damn sexy not forgetting the honda integra as well i think. although i have to say, the honda civic unless well done still looks like a granny car to me. unles your speaking of the coupe.
Enjoi

deisel cars still stink and are unbearably noisy to me. best period of cars was the 1990's. the mazda rx-7, honda civic, nissan skyline, toyota supra and the nissan silvia's, all of these cars make drifting what it is today, and they all look so damn sexy not forgetting the honda integra as well i think. although i have to say, the honda civic unless well done still looks like a granny car to me. unles your speaking of the coupe.
Enjoi

I agree with your points re 1990's. But I would, wouldn't I? 'Cos I voted the same way.

You thoughts about diesel cars are a little bit outdated though. Much as I poke fun at myself they really have improved to the point that I choose to drive one. And I was a diesel hater of the highest order for nearly two decades.

I would not want a Ferrari with a diesel engine. Or even a Honda S2000. But they don't stink like they used to stink.

Most diesels aren't noisy at all now - some are very refined - but all go disturbingly well for their engine sizes compared to similarly sized petrol engines.

Kind regards,

Paul.

unfortunately for me i dont think i shall ever drive diesel. i once had to drive a diesel for an hour, one of the ford focus's, and i came close to crashing it just to be rid of it, it sounded like a van and honestly didn't like me. then again im a petrol guy which means shifting in to first to take corners just seems wrong.
Enjoi
PS sorry for going off topic :p

unfortunately for me i dont think i shall ever drive diesel. i once had to drive a diesel for an hour, one of the ford focus's, and i came close to crashing it just to be rid of it, it sounded like a van and honestly didn't like me. then again im a petrol guy which means shifting in to first to take corners just seems wrong.
Enjoi
PS sorry for going off topic :p

No, don't be. I ,too, hated diesels for years. And there's plenty out there I still hate for exactly your reasons.

Not all petrol engines are sweet either through. I twice had the misfortune of owning Montegos (both petrol driven). Yes, I bought more than one!!. And that S series petrol 1.6 is HARSH. But not as harsh as the bloody awful MG 2.0i O series.

90's for me too without a doubt. All the jap beasts like the Skylines, Supra, RX-7, DC2 Integra, EK9 Civic, NSX. Plus others such as the Integrale Evo's, Punto GT and Dodge Viper were all introduced in the 90's.

Just epic!

40s/50s, when AC got a call from Caroll Shelby asking for an Ace fitted with a Ford V8.

And so a legend was born...

the 80's as last of real drivers cars without driver aids such as abs and built in mild understeer. remember capris racing beemers with tail out on corners. ah what a decade.