What tyres to buy?

vr1066

Torque Junkie
Hi guys,

Looking for a little help on choosing tyres.

My m.o.t is just up and it's looking like I need to 2 new front tyres (not from burn-outs ;P).

The tyres I have at the moment are Toyo Proxies T1-R's. I'm fairly new to driving and don't have a great deal of knowledge on tires etc.

I'd usually do a bit research before buying anything but I got my dates wrong and my m.o.t. is up.

I'm happy to spend up to £100 per tire, maybe more, but I don't want to waste my money.

I'd be happy with the same tires again but I'm wondering if it's worth spending a little more, or less, on better tires.

Any suggestions?

You might find this thread of interest:- http://www.torquecars.com/chat/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=63.

A lot of it is down to personal taste and the Toyo Proxies are pretty good. My personal fave is the Eagle F1's but they do wear out quickly but give really nice handling characteristics to the car. What is on the rear - I like to keep the same all round and swap them over so they all wear out at the same time - plus you get a discount for 4 tyres rather than just buying 2.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've currently got toyo proxies all round.

I think I may have a problem with wheels not being balanced? (Excuse me if that the wrong term). The tires are not worn evenly across, they have worn from the inside out (not much on the outside) and mainly on the left tire. I'm assuming this will be corrected once the new tires are fitted?

I was under the impression that you should change all your tires at the same time but the rear tires are in good condition so it would be a waste to change the now.

I'm just not sure what to do. Like I said, I'm happy with the toyo's but I'm tempted to go for Pirelli P7000's, but this is more because it's a brand I recognise.

Don't like the P7000's they clog up in mud very easily and don't grip that well. I think you will find your tracking is out - that is generally what causes uneven tyre wear - or it might be taking fast corners all the time :lol:

I'd put the new tyres on the rear so you can quickly get a whole set.

good idea man, never thought of that, will need to see if my budget will allow.

Are you familiar with Cooper Zeon 2XS?

I'm hoping to get tires that will last for a year, If thats not to much to ask for.

Michelin are very good in the wet and have excellent life span. Pilot Sports are probably the best for your car.

Cooper tyres are not too bad, but not too good if you catch my drift? Stay away from Pirelli's as thy are poop! Avon ZZ3's are a good choice for the money but if you want the best the either go for Goodyear F1's or even better still the michelin Pilot Sport. Damn good tyre the last one.

Well I’ve had look round and sadly the only place that’s looking like they can provide the tyre and fitting in a good time don't do Michelin.

If I never messed up my m.o.t expiry date I’d have more time but this company http://www.blackcircles.com can give me an all in one price plus fit them locally.

I'm either going to go for the same tyre as I had before, the toyo's or the Dunlop SP9000.

Well in the end I just went for the same tyre as before, the Toyo proxies T1-R (reinforced). I'm assuming the "reinforced" has something to do with the tire wall?

I didn't have the bottle to try a new brand, maybe next time when I have more time to research and shop around I’ll try something different.

I did fancy the Michelin pilot sport tire mentioned before, but the company I was ordering from didn't have them in stock, and sadly I didn't have time to wait.

I let you know what I think them as a fresh pair but I wouldn't hold you breathe for an in-depth review since these are the only sports tyres I've used.

They cost me £167 all in, they're delivered to a local garage and fitted with new valves etc. What do u think about the price?

TBH if they do what they say and have them delivered tomoz and fitted on Thursday morning I'll be happy. This is my first experience of buying tires and I thought it was going to be far more stressful getting them delivered and fitted in the short time I have. The only hard part has been choosing the right tire, not counting parting with my cash. :(