What to use

dabeaupre

Car
it's why i'm here
Hey guys,
I'm looking at building myself a drag car and I would like some opinions on what kind of vehicles I should use. I'll be moving away from everyone I know soon for work and I'll be there for years. I'm expecting this to be a huge project and I really don't care, it's something to help pass the time basically and to just have fun. I'm a millwright and so I'll be able to do nearly all the work myself, whether I have to build special brackets, etc. I'll have the tools and equipment available and all the metal supplies as well.

My original idea was to find a station wagon or hatchback car, preferable 4 door just for the extra room inside. I'd like to convert it to a mid engine rwd with a v8. I'm thinking a cadillac v8 would be a good start, hp and torque are around 300 and they're solid engines.

So what would be a good hatchback or station wagon that is already rwd with a strong rear diff? I was thinking if I have to convert it then I'd use a toyota mr2 transmission and rear end.

Or should I buy something like a 4 cylinder mustang and rip that out and drop in the v8. (the reason i wouldn't buy a v8 mustang is because I can pick up a 4 cylinder for 1/10th the price.) Basically any piece of crap rwd car that I can pick up for cheap.

What are your opinions on what I should do?

P.S. I'm not looking at spending lots of money on this, lots of time yes but the vehicles I'll buy written off cars from insurance auctions for very cheap. For example I could have picked up a written off cadillac with a lt1 for $600. Unfortunately that is when I got this idea and didn't have the money at the time. But as you can see it won't be too expensive to get set up it'll be the tuning and the modifications that will start to get expensive.

I think you need advice form folks on your side of the pond as they will have a better idea on what is available.

Might be worth while finding a local track that hosts run-what-ya-brung or test 'n tune days/evenings so you can see what other weekend warriors are doing. You can then deicde whether to follow a tried and tested route or attmept something off the wall (my preferred option but risky for a first timer). You should also be able to find out the best engines to use (cost of engines, spare parts and tune up parts availability).

If you are planning to run in competition you should get hold of the rule book for your proposed class in order to avoid making expensive and time consuming mistakes.

It is also important to have a goal in mind (eg ET or top speed) so that you have something to aim for. Set your goal high.

Power high weight low.

If you start a project keep us informed with lots of photos.

Try to find a car with a somewhat long wheelbase, preferably front engined and rwd. Solid rear axle is the ideal suspension for drag racing.
The somewhat long wheelbase is probably unnecessary though, if you're doing this for fun and not serious competition. The longer wheelbases are usually used for getting the quickest times, since leverage makes it more difficult for the car to wheelie. In your instance, don't worry about it, though.:)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back