What sorta work am I looking at?

Arutha19

Wrench Pro
Car
2001 Corsa 1.0
Hey guys.

I'm looking into buying a Honda Accord 1.8 V-Tec but somethings up.

Bottom end if fine, up to 3000 revs its like a normal car, but trying to get this thing to redline... OMG its like flogging a dead horse...

I'm of the understanding that V-Tec engines were designed to have the knackers revved off them, but this thing just won't do it.

The rest is mechanically sound so what kinda work am I looking at to get this engine back up to scratch?

What do you mean the activating mechanism? Sorry, I'm really not acquainted with these kinds of engines.

They're twin cam right? Do you mean the mechanism that switches from one cam profile to the other? Is that how twin cam engines work?

Thanks

no twin cam means there is one for the intake valves and one for the exhaust valves.

on a normal 16v twin cam there would be 8 lobes on each cam however on a vtec the is 12.

what happens is above the change point oil is sent to open a valve that engages a locking system to ue the other lobe
a video is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDCoHT-ja_Q

the is a filter for the hydro switch

"What do you mean the activating mechanism? Sorry, I'm really not acquainted with these kinds of engines."

On the Honda V tech,Only the intake cam is"V tech"
The whole operation is controlled by the ECU.

AHA! I understand now... right... that stands a very good chance of being the problem.

Don't suppose anyone knows how difficult that'll be to fix?

Cheers guys =)

couple of bolts to gain access to the filter but re reading i dont think this is the problem as you should only find it hesitent after the change over not at 3000rpm

try disconnecting the MAF and see if it runs any better

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back