What sort of tyres have you got

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Are your tyres, symmetrical, asymmetrical, directional or semi slick?

Does the type of tread pattern matter much to you?

I have directional tyres at the moment and really like the grip and cornering, something I felt was lacking on standard symmetrical tyres.

I've not tried semi slicks as I view these as a track day only option and not practical for year round use.

Dunlop Sport Maxx all round at the moment. Found they have lasted longer than previous Falken FK452 and not developed the saw tooth effect causing the tyres to drone at higher speeds.

@T9 man I chose them for their road noise rating and they certainly are quieter. If you remember I had a VW mk5 peculiar problem of tyres wearing into a saw tooth edge that caused a loud drone sound coming into the cabin. It was just certain tyre tread patterns would wear a peculiar way. Anyway I've found through trial and error these wear better and are much quieter. Don't know what the speed rating I got, I'll take a look but this review site gives some specs and idea of what cars people are fitting them to. I don't think they are very high spec but fine for normal road grip wet or dry
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Dunlop/SP-Sport-Maxx.htm

Dunlop Sport Maxx all round at the moment. Found they have lasted longer than previous Falken FK452 and not developed the saw tooth effect causing the tyres to drone at higher speeds.
I have sport Maxx as well. I had some before but they were prone to crack around the vertical sipes after a while. If you put them on, be sure to use them up quickly is my advice but perhaps they have changed their formulation now.

The Golf is very heavy on front tyres, 10k miles is good and I in no way abuse them in fact quite the opposite. Seem to change tyres every two years even with the very low sub 6k miles a year mileage we do

Have you tried swapping the rears to the front to even out the wear? It helps maintain the cars handling and you can usually get a better deal on 4 tyres over just 2 if you haggle.

Yep done that and change all 4 every couple of years. I also don't let them go down to the minimum tread depth because of the reduced wet weather efficiency so I'm changing them with probably a few miles still left in them legally. The tracking is done each year also at service time. Price wise they're about £80 a tyre for 225/45/17 size which isn't to bad for a medium performance tyre

Michelin Tyres for sure! In my future sedan i would love to have the ones with amazing looks and that goes well on the alloy!
I guess this brand has a outstanding maintenance and looks at the same time .

Hopefully they are a huuuuge improvement on the Michelin X that the cabbies loved in the late 50's and 60's that let go faster than greased lightning with no warning but lasted forever and gave yours truly a few heart stopping moments early in my driving career.:eek:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back