what should i do to a bora 1.6?

russefireball93

Car
Focus 1.6 zetec 5dr
hi guys, im from the uk and i wana get a bora for my first car. it will be about 2002 ish. what should i do to it to improve performance/handling??

TBH mate you won't see any real gains from a 1.6.
But first of all get an induction kit and also get an aftermarket exhaust.
Like said before you won't see any big gains but you will see a little improvement.
Next up is to get the suspension sorted. You should really be looking towards Coilovers for this and also changing the suspension bushes to polly ones will help. A nice set of alloys will also look good with the suspension lowered. Add a brake upgrade too and then you'll have a fun car to drive.

as said your not going to see any decent gains from the 1.6
decent brakes require changing the hubs to the 1.8+ hubs
get the car lowered as said go with coilovers and fit a rear anti roll bar.

also fitting an induction it to this engine could prove difficult as the airbox is part of the engine cover. however theres also other pipework that is fed into it so its not just a case of bolting it straight on. could be done however just not too easy.
much easier to fit a decent panel filter

thanks for the help :) how about getting it chipped?? and i know its never gonna be that fast but the insurance on a bigger engined version would be too much :sad2: any idea what the maximum realistic power i could get out of it is??

As soon as you mod the car you've got the insurance will go through the roof. Unless of course you don't declare the mods in which case your insurance will be void.

As soon as you mod the car you've got the insurance will go through the roof. Unless of course you don't declare the mods in which case your insurance will be void.

i was going to leave it standard apart from a high performance panel filter and mabe getting it chipped. Is it true what they say about when you get a car chipped dealers diagnostics systems cant detect it??

thanks for the speedy reply :)

mmm yes and no, it depends on the technician. the ECU does store the amount of flashes to the ECU and a workshop code of who last done it. if they are really looking they can find out that this code doesnt match any VW spec and so isnt the standard map.
Most dealers arnt bothered about the mapping however they might invalidate any warranty you have with them. Insurance companies however are different, they could, and possible will search for anything that could get them out of paying out so make sure you declare everything you do to the company.
would advise about the suspension as the handling isnt great on the bora. im trying to source a cheap rear roll bar as i cant lower mine due to speed bumps at my work

mmm yes and no, it depends on the technician. the ECU does store the amount of flashes to the ECU and a workshop code of who last done it. if they are really looking they can find out that this code doesnt match any VW spec and so isnt the standard map.
Most dealers arnt bothered about the mapping however they might invalidate any warranty you have with them. Insurance companies however are different, they could, and possible will search for anything that could get them out of paying out so make sure you declare everything you do to the company.
would advise about the suspension as the handling isnt great on the bora. im trying to source a cheap rear roll bar as i cant lower mine due to speed bumps at my work

how is the handling?? compared to say a focus zetec??? and thanks for quick reply :D

in a work crap ( only cause i cant swear on this forum )
aot of people will say the handling is outstanding on a mk4 golf (same car different panels) but its not, suffers from bad body roll - bora seems worse, even with the supposedly "sport" suspension. and understeers quite badly