Torque Cars

What qualifies as a classic car?

Discussion in 'General car Chat' started by obi_waynne, 5 January 2019.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    I think we'll all be different here so what do you count as a classic car?

For me its a pre 1970 with running boards and nice curves.

The 911 or Beetle perhaps?

Old muscle cars leave me cold though.

2. Lunchmoney

Lunchmoney The Torque Meister

Poole, UK
    Car:
    '98 JDM Impreza STI
    Tax man says (for purposes of UK road tax) anything pre '73 is a classic car.
    Insurance, not all but in general, says over 20 years old.
    Mine becomes a classic later this year :woot:

3. stamford

stamford Pro Tuner

Hampshire
    Car:
    MG ZS200
    My Audi V8 turns 20 later this year. I don’t think they look their age these days. My old Firenza was a 1972 model.

4. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    My last car in the pic had club registration as it was over 30 years old and IMO going to be a future classic.

5. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Age I think is only part of it.

For me.. A classic is something that would stand out. Or that was rare from Production.

6. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    You'd expect a classic to appreciate in value.

People also refer to a modern classic but I'm not sure you can have a modern classic. A future classic perhaps?

turbonutter69 likes this.
  7. stamford

stamford Pro Tuner

Hampshire
    Car:
    MG ZS200
    Modern classics exist through certain car insurers, my MG ZS is on such a policy and costs around £120 a year with all mods plus I get MGCC discount. One day my zed may be seen in the same light as mk4/5 Cortinas! Those prices are silly!

8. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    I think it will. I still have a lot of love for the mg Rover brand.

There are still some great examples around so would probably make a good investment.

9. Aerial Andy944

Aerial Andy944 The Torque Meister

Sunny South Somerset UK
    Car:
    VW Golf GT TDi 200
    Age is a big factor. Footman James insurance guy told me at a show once it starts around 10 years old but the model is also a big factor in this. My Skyline is a good example. They would insure my GTR as a classic but the GTST models they wouldn't. Seems you need to have the right model to be considered for classic insurance and to enjoy all its benefits over regular insurance

obi_waynne likes this.
  10. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Over here we have club rego for vehicles that are over 30 years old. Club rego restricts it to club runs ,events, driving to workshop or testing.

I must have done quite a bit of testing ;b/,bedding brakes etc in my old car but it was on my personal plates and not a club "S" plate that would have made it obvious to Mr Plod that there were restrictions on usage and give him reason to query where the driver was going /doing.

obi_waynne likes this.