What oil do you prefer in your car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you stick with the book? Have you ever wrecked an older engine using a high performance oil.

Personally I tend to stick to makers recommendations and buy the best brand I can. I know some people change oil type in winter summer but can't really see the point over here in the UK.

So what do you fill up with.

Yup. Becaus older cars are not as precisley manufactured as newer ones, the engine components are not quite as snug a fit as the new ones. The thicker oil takes up the slack in all the bearings.

i use castrol as well, if the milage is high enough i use the castrol hig milage, its never let me down

Millers XFD 5w/40 fully synthetic for diesl engines that require that grade. It gets the API CH4 classification which is unique to Millers at this time, I think.

For cars I've again stuck with a fully synthetic oil but there's much more competition out there. Millers is up there with the best, but Mobil 1 is hard to fault. Even Halfords' own brand 5w/40 synthetic is a decent oil - manufactured by Esso.

I suggest that you dismiss mineral oils entirely, a good semi is a much better bet for just about any engine. Unless, of course, you're running some tasty 1940's machinery that really does burn some oil intentionally, then you need the good ole mother earth stuff

You can run a diesel on veggie oil.

My Point (really badly made) was that the oil on the chips would be the only way veggie oil would get near my car and then I would be eating them anyway! (I guess it was early morning for me!)

Using veggie oil in the engine is a really good way of starting an engine fire!